Escape >Emma/Ray

Renaissance AU

   "RAY!? But I've known him since we were kids!" The princess shouted.

"Just be grateful it's not some prince that lives in some far away kingdom that you don't even know." Her mother said "your marrying Prince Ray and that's finale, we must make this alliance if we want to win the war."

"But mother-"

"Enough!" The Queen shouted "I am the Queen and my word is finale! You are dismissed Emma!"

Emma huffed and ran out of the throne room. She made it to her bedroom and grabbed a bag out of her closet and started packing. There was a knock at the door and one of the palace guards opened it.

"Prince Ray, your highness."  Ray stood next tho the guard awkwardly.

Emma smiled "He can come in."

The guard nodded and Ray walked in closing the door behind him. "I guess your mom told you?" He gestured to her packed bag.

Emma sighed "I don't wanna marry you Ray." She threw the bag over her shoulder "I'm sorry. But I'm running away." She said determined.

"I know." Ray said "I've got a friend that works in the stables. Tell the guards at the city gates he's your escort."

Emma nodded. "Right. I'll sneak out the window so the guards don't notice....but what about you? Won't they throw you in the dungeons for aiding my escape?"

The reavenette smirked and pilled a matchbox out of his pocket "Not if I make it look like we died in some tragic accident"

"RAY!!!!" Emma ran and grabbed the matchbox out of his hands "Absolutely not! There gotta be another way!"

Her friend laughed "Relax, I'm kidding. I'll just leave then you sneak out, and I'll deny knowing anything of your escape. Besides, if worst case scenario the do persecute me my mom knows how to pull the right strings and get me out, I'll be fine.

Emma thought of her escape plan "So I sneek out the window find this stable boy-"

"Norman."

"Right. Tell the guards he's my escort to avoid suspicion,then go to the nearest town and start my new life...?"

Ray shrugged "That part is up to you. Humans are being massacred by Dragons, Giants, witches, and demons all the time. Maybe make hunting them for your career. Or just be a farm girl, have a shop and sell cookies and cupcakes your whole life. It's up to you."

"Will I ever see you again?" Emma asked, tears had started forming in her eyes.

Ray looked down "I don't....know, probably not."

Emma started to cry. Ray walked to her "Hey! Don't cry, you gotta escape Emma. Make your own life! The one you want to live that's not controlled by parents and politics."

Emma sniffed and wiped her eyes "But I want you to be in that life. Your my only friend Ray!"

"I know, but you have to do this."

"I'll miss you Ray." Emma hugged him tightly.

"Yeah...miss you too, Emma."

She let go of him and he walked to the door and waved giving her one last smile before turning the knob and disappearing behind the closed door....forever.

Emma pushed down her sorrow and turned to the window.

Escape, and make your own life...the one YOU want to live.