CHAPTER ONE

"You're going to lose."

Dean regretted it the moment he did it, even if it made for a good distraction but through all of his pent-up anger at God for not being there when he-- (when they)--needed him, for turning out to be a dick, for manipulating their lives since before they were born, and for killing Jack, he didn't stop to think. His arm was moving before his brain caught up to him, even though he did want to punch the almighty in the face.

There was a momentary absence of sound, with Dean glaring at Chuck as if daring him to retaliate, to do something--anything--and Sam watching on in concern, still half-tied to the chair and Castiel holding onto Eileen to keep her from hurting any of them. Dean waited with baited breath for the man in front of him to do something and he knew he was screwed when Chuck slowly turned his head to look at him with disappointment.

With barely a wave of his hand, Dean was suddenly sailing across the casino, crashing against the wall and collapsing onto the floor. Dean felt his head crack solidly against the carpet flooring, a cry of pain escaping his lips. Dazed as he was, he tried to climb to his feet but Chuck was in front of him and had him pinned against the wall with another flick of his wrist. Groaning, Dean tried to put on a brave face in spite of the fact he was sure Cas and Sam had heard him.

Chuck stood a few inches away from him, but still way too close. If he moved closer he'd definitely be within kissing distance and that was reserved only for Cas. However, Chuck was looking at him like a disappointed parent scolding their child and Dean didn't like it one bit.

"You know how much I like you Dean, and I'm really trying to be nice here." Chuck started. "I don't want to hurt you, but you are seriously draining my patience."

Dean laughed humorlessly and glared at God with his bright green eyes. "I'm sure I am, but see I don't care about your patience or even if you're trying to be nice." Leaning his head forward enough so that Chuck would get the hint, he added, "You hurt my brother and my friend, so you can shove whatever else you're going to say up your sanctimonious asshole and cry me a river."

Dean, his anger showing even through his obvious fear, had never thought he'd talk to God this way but seeing as the asshole deserved it, he didn't regret it at all. Chuck, seeming to have lost all of his remaining patience for the eldest Winchester, closed his fist and Dean grimaced as pain spread through his body. It started as a burning sensation in his stomach before blooming into something worse. If he hadn't been held against the wall by invisible hands he'd be convulsing on the floor right now.

As the pain intensified, he tried to keep his wails of pain confined to the inside of his head. He didn't want Cas, Sam or Eileen to hear him in so much pain; he needed to be strong for them. Almost as if reading his mind, Chuck's lips twitched in a way that was sick, like he was getting off on his pain.

"Well, you can't remain quiet forever Dean. I want your friends to hear you scream."

"Chuck, leave him alone!" Cas' desperate voice filtered through the haze of pain he was trapped in.

Dean barely registered the voices of Eileen and his brother as the pain just became worse. It felt like his insides were being wrenched out before being set on fire and his blood felt like it was boiling under his skin. The grunts of pain coming from his lips were steadily rising in volume as Chuck just continued his sick choice of torture. Dean still wasn't screaming though and he knew that Chuck would add something to make sure he would.

So when a high-pitched sound started filtering through his ears, giving him a terrible headache that only continued to get worse, he wasn't even remotely surprised. The pain that the sound was causing reminded Dean of that banshee he and Sam took on about a month ago. However, this was so much worse and Dean had an idea of what it might be. As blood began to run down his nose and out of his ears, he couldn't keep back the whimper that escaped.

Then it felt like his soul was being ripped apart and that was what did him in. The scream that forced its way up his throat and past his lips was a sound he never knew he could make. Chuck was laughing and Dean was finally able to move as Chuck released the invisible restraints holding him against the wall.

However, he couldn't stand on his own and had collapsed onto his side, covering his ears with his hands. Dean felt his body start to convulse as the feeling of something being shredded to pieces deep inside him became worse. The second scream was louder than the first and filled with more agony than most people would be able to even grasp. He could hear Sam and Cas yelling at Chuck to stop, and he knew that if they could move, they would have already done so and tried to stop him.

After a while, when Dean's throat hurt and he was so exhausted from the pain that he became silent, Chuck stopped. The reprieve from the agony that had been placed on him was gone but he couldn't bring himself to even look up at God or even utter a smart remark when he came to kneel in front of the hunter's huddled form. Dean had thought for sure that Chuck was going to kill him, instead he'd just tortured him for what felt like hours.

Feeling Chuck's fingers curl under his chin, Dean flinched away and then whimpered in pain by the sudden movement. Unable to do much but let the asshole of a God lift his head up so that his bright, wide and scared green eyes were looking up at him, even though they were unfocused.

"Think about this moment when the time comes, Dean. It will save you a lot of pain, my child." With those words, Chuck disappeared with a subtle but soundless gust of wind. As soon as he was gone, whatever hold he had on Eileen vanished and then he heard running footsteps.

Through his haze of obvious confusion and pain, he heard Sam and Cas saying his name. He didn't understand why they were fussing over him but he was in no condition to argue with them, so he let them poke and prod him. Although, he kept his right arm curled around his stomach protectively as his eyes pinballed between his brother and his best friend.

"Dean, I'm going to see if there's any damage that goes deeper than your internal organs." Cas spoke gently, so as not to startle the traumatized hunter from his slight catatonic state. Dean watched the angel raise his hand before he felt two fingers press against his forehead. Moments later, Cas gasped and rocked back on his heels in shock and surprise.

"What?" Sam demanded, eyes full of concern. "Cas what is it?"

Dean took a shuddering breath and looked away from Castiel and his brother. He knew something was wrong with him, and he didn't want to see the look on Cas' face when he tells Sam.

"Chuck attacked your brother's soul . . . It may be beyond repair soon if we don't act fast."

Sam's sharp intake of breath and Cas' dread filled voice were what caused Dean to lose what control he had left. A sob escaped his mouth and he held his hands up to cover his face slowly, because every movement still hurt. It didn't take very long before Sam and Cas came to a silent agreement and decided to put him to sleep with Cas' grace.

Dean fell into a peaceful oblivion the minute Cas touched his forehead.