Chapter 5

TW: Swearing (I think)

"Hey, Cassio! Wake up!" I hear Jack say.

  I hum back in response. He knows I can make sound – I just won't speak, like I told Crutchie last night. So humming is fine.

  "C'mon, we gotta go get Davey," he says, shaking my shoulder. I grab his wrist, slowly turning over to face him.

  "Jeez, dat was creepy." I smile, just to freak him out. "Aaaand now its even creepier. Anyways, I'se'll wait for ya outside, alright Cassio?" He back out of the small room as fast as he can, leaving me laughing.

  A few minutes later I join him outside. I swapped the shirt, so today it's mine that I'm wearing, but I'm wearing Crutchie's pants and waistcoat.

  Jack whistles. "Damn, kid, that waistcoat fits ya poifectly. It's like you'se're da same size." He continues to throw random stupid compliments at me.

  I hit him playfully on the arm until he submits, laughing quietly. He opens the door for me, and I see that it's barely light outside. I look back to Jack, who shrugs, whispering, "By the time we get to Davey's it's gonna be a little brighter. Trust me."

  I hop down the steps, grabbing Jack's arm when he offers it. Thanks, I mouth. He nods. I still have the pencil in my pocket, but nothing to write on, so Jack and I walk in silence. He walks with me, too, rather than at his own pace, which I appreciate.

  A little while later Jack picks up his pace a little, beckoning me. "C'mon, Cassio, we'se nearly dere." I manage to keep up with him, half-skipping, and I really just want to get out of here as soon as we can. We're in the same neighbourhood I used to go to school in before becoming a newsie, and I don't really want anyone recognising me. I don't want to talk to people I barely remember and then have to pretend like I do.

  We stop outside an apartment complex, and Jack explains to me that when he and Davey were talking yesterday he said that the best way to come in wouldbe the front door, rather than up the fire escape like Jack was planning.

  I shake my head at that, hopping up the steps.

  "You'se don't have ta come–"

  I scowl at him and he backs off. I hear him mutter something under his breath and I have to hold back a laugh. ("Damn, remind me not ta say somethin' like dat again.")

He knocks, and I hear footsteps running up to the door. A child yells, "They're here! They're here!" and throws the door open. Les stands before us. He's not wearing his shoes or hat, his shirt is half untucked, he only has one suspender properly on his shoulder and he's grinning his head off.

"Mornin' kid!" Jack says.

I smile at him and ruffle his hair. A woman appears in front of us, and introduced herself.

"Good morning, boys. David's told us a lot about you."

"Good mornin' Mrs. Jacobs," Jack greets, tipping his hat. I just send her a small smile and wave.

"Oh, please, call me Esther," she says.

"Okay, uh, Esther... I'se Jack, dis is Cassio. I dunno if Davey's told you our names yet–"

"Oh, don't worry, Jack, he's told us about the strike and all of that. He talks about all of you a lot–"

"Non-stop since he started, actually!" A man yells from another room. I presume that's Mr. Jacobs. Mrs. Jacobs leads us through to the kitchen, Les running off to who knows where.