III. THE FIRST VOYAGE TO THE NORTH

He had graduated from the Royal Institute; in the time spent there, he had read pretty much everything that could be read, in all fields of interest, and even though many of the books had found their end in the unforgiving waters of the world in w...

He had graduated from the Royal Institute; in the time spent there, he had read pretty much everything that could be read, in all fields of interest, and even though many of the books had found their end in the unforgiving waters of the world in which he lived, he had found something else... a quenching of his thirst for letters. He was generally a calm person; he was thin and tall, with a long face, milky white, freckled skin, a sharp chin, long red hair, styled to bring out his wide forehead and small ears, and his nose... mmm, well... the nose was above average, "so that he could sniff his victim from afar, like a greyhound" – his colleagues at the Institute joked, a joke that, over the years, became a resounding nickname, "the greyhound", especially because he would end up easily around the books, which he would devour down to the last drop of ink.

He also remembered the discussion with his good colleague and friend, George, after the graduation, when each of them had to choose a path in life: one in the company of books and the other one in the company of maps, one with the reading, the other with the drawing. They also took an oath: if, during their travels overseas, they found maps apart from books or books apart from maps, they would keep them for the other until they would see each other again.

He had fond memories about the teachers at the Institute, who had helped him to expand on what was most precious to him, because the school was organized so straightforwardly that each student chose the subjects they wanted to study, enjoying the complete freedom to learn to their heart's desire. Thus, they encouraged not only the educated young, but also people prepared to deal successfully with the field of activity for which they had trained with passion and devotion ever since they were attending courses at the institute and were then eager to put into practice everything they had learned in these years of study.

Then, difficult times began, and everything fell prey to corruption. And no matter how hard they tried, they failed to keep the petty interests from hindering the education; education was easily and positively destroyed, perhaps because it no longer offered any sound alternative to the existing wrongdoings. You no longer needed graduation documents in order to be proposed for a high office in the kingdom, experts were no longer needed in the key sectors of activity, because everything was run by meek, uneducated people who lacked freedom.