002┆chapter two

CHASING CARS

CHASING CARS

two.      sleepy boy

▬▬ CASSIE LAUGHED AS her dad groaned and threw his head back, the girl jumped to her feet, throwing her arms into the air. "Ha! Your team lost!" She teased, making the man laugh as he shook his head at her. It was a Saturday, and if not for Cassie being grounded she would have been out with her friends.

"Don't jump on the couch." He huffed as he watched the girl jump onto the cushions but her movements stopped and she looked over at him. "You think I'm doing this grounding thing wrong?" He asked as the girl flopped onto the couch.

"What do you mean?" She asked as she pulled her legs up under her so that she was sitting criss-crossed.

"I'm pretty sure that you're not supposed to have fun when you're grounded." He told her and she tilted her head as she scrunched her face up a bit, clearly pretending to think over what he had said and it made him chuckle.

"Maybe." She nodded. "But this is purely your fault."

"My fault?" He asked, a smile on his face as he pointed to himself, his finger on his chest.

"You were the one that asked if I wanted to watch the game with you, then you started the whole bet thing, and there was no way I was forfeiting an easy bet."

"Easy bet?" He mocked as he looked back at the tv, a scowl contorting his facial features as they replayed his team's loss.

"Goodnight, Daddy." She shook her head with a laugh, making her way over to his chair, placing a kiss to the top of his head. "Don't stay up too late."

"I thought I was the parent." He joked and she made a face at him before turning and making her way up the stairs. "Goodnight, Cassie." He called after her and she smiled as she waved over her shoulder.

Charlie chuckled to himself, he cherished moments like that with Cassie, carefree and happy moments. But his smile faded as he looked over at the coffee table, his eyes resting on a large, white envelope that he had yet to open. He had thought about it as he stared at it; it was the results of Cassie's DNA test and it held everything that Cassie had ever wanted to know about where she came from.