Chapter 1, To be Special

When the nine split off from mother, they were each giving one of her unique capabilities. One would get her fierce armor, another her terrifying height, and so on and so forth. They were special, all a byproduct of her, their mother. Ymir Fritz. They were by her side at all times, closer and closer to the tree of life.

    They were happy, being used for their power, being given a purpose. The humans who possessed the ability to harnest their power tickled them, making them giddy to be useful. They were special.

     Something changed years, decades even, after they were born. A child happened, two of them in fact. What should have been mere eldian children were instead something else. You see, when a child of Ymirs blood is born, their soul is manifested in paths. The soul is buried deep under the sand, and if they happen to become a shifter, their soul is brought to the surface and when they die their human form is created. They dont get paradise, just a never-ending life in a barren plain.

     Those who die while not a shifter have their soul transferred somewhere far away, though the nine could not tell you where or what that place is. But back to the present, Two children, non-shifters, were born. They were not supposed to be special, only the nine could be, and yet somehow they were.

     These two children, a girl and a boy respectively, were born closer to the surface than any other before them. So close that when their soul grew with them, there was no doubt that they'd reach the surface.

     The nine were very wary when these two manifested A never before miracle happening right before their eyes. One of the smaller ones, the one with jaws stronger than their siblings hardening, almost lashed out when the two manifested. They weren't supposed to be special, only the nine were supposed to be. 

     The colossal was there, calming them down. They weren't special. Two children that did not posses the nine were not special. Being or possessing one of the nine made someone special, so if these two did not have one of them, then how could they ever be special.

     It just didn't make sense.

     A closer look into the two children would show that no, they weren't special. Just a boy and a girl fighting in a nation that looked down on them. They were one of the unlucky few to be born in the nation of Marley. The girl was from a proud family, who told her that her only worth was to become special.

     The boy was from a family almost entirely exiled. In order to stop himself from being turned mindless for all of eternity, he was on a mission to become special.

     They trained with all their might, fighting to be special. Their souls grew and grew, almost to the breaking point.

     These two children, Gabi of Braun and Falco of Grice, fighting to be one of the nine. They were almost warriors, almost special. Though if one took a closer look they'd find these two children were already almost, if not entirely, special.

     Turns out, being born closer to the nine, can have some unique advantages.