En Route to Cardiff

En Route from Lake Valley to Cardiff Central Station 

The man wore a grey suit, tailored to perfection with scuff-less shoes. He sat poised in the taxi as it moved him further and further away from his home in the small village and though he seemed calm, he was anything but. Minutes before, he'd received the worst news.

He ran to his fiance as soon as he'd gotten wind of what had happened but the car wasn't nearly fast enough for him to feel satisfied. He'd always been an impatient man.

"Don't worry, Eddy. All will be well soon," his fiance soothed with a hand on Eddy's arm.

"I shouldn't have waited so long to go back," he cursed himself. "This is all my fault."

"What do you mean, Darling?" 

"I mean, I left it too long! I shouldn't have. I wish I hadn't."

"I doubt-"

"Don't doubt me, Robert."

Bobby scowled. The grey-suited man only called his fiance by his full name when he was upset. Bobby hated to see him like this. Instead of dragging the obviously distressing matter on further, he flickered his blue eyes to the window as the taxi steadily left the trees, and the mountains and the beautiful lakes of the valley that the couple had started their life in behind them.

"I don't mean to be cruel," Eddy muttered apologetically. "I'm...worried."

"No bother," Bobby pursed his lips. He'd known how complicated these matters were for his fiance even before they were engaged. Though they'd been together for nearly five years now, Bobby sometimes felt as though he knew nothing about his partner other than his charming smile and witty personality.

His favourite thing about the grey-suited man was his observatory nature. He'd only have to walk into a cafe and he could've told Bobby everything he needed to know about the people inside. And then when Bobby would gush at his skills, he'd shrug it off with a faraway look, one Bobby resented. It was a gaze full of secrets - secrets that he wasn't welcome to see. Bobby doubted he'd ever know even half of them.

Before he had enough time to doubt their relationship more than he already had, Eddy placed a hand on Bobby's knee and Bobby melted against his familiar touch.

Outside the taxi, a puddle of dirty water splashed against the side of the car and Burton Abbey Boarding School stood tall somewhere far away.