Chapter 19 | Bonfire

( POV: RAZE AEDEN )

( POV: RAZE AEDEN )

Laughing, singing, eating.

That's what everyone is doing. Even the usually grumpy and aggravated Laurent willingly joins in on the fun.

Not the singing of course. Only the eating and he graces us with an occasional smile. Well, his way of smiling is not looking at you like he wants to kill you.

I don't feel like a king. I don't feel the pressure of ruling millions of people. It feels good to have a moment of peace- at least something that resembles peace.

A few of Sorin's men and women are also sitting with us. They usually keep themselves pretty isolated but they seem to like the bonfire.

It lifts people's spirits. Corvina and the redhead also look pretty cozy to me. They laugh and stare at each other continuously.

Corvina meets my eyes while smiling and she shakes her head, "What?" She mouths.

I raise my hands in innocence as if haven't been watching the two of them enjoy their time together.

She smiles and points toward someone with her eyes. She's pointing toward her sister, urging me to do something. I roll my eyes at her and focus back on Madam Eira's story.

From the corner of my eyes, I see Fallon do the same. Her hands are holding her chin up while her elbows are on her knees and her lips are slightly pouted.

I turn to take her in fully. Her eyes are shining from curiosity, she's genuinely interested in Madam Eira's tales. 

"Wait- She died?" Fal asks with pure surprise in her voice.

"Yes."

"Why?"

"I was getting there." Madam Eira laughs. Fallon smiles a little embarrassedly and eagerly nods for Madam Eira to continue.

The story proceeds. I only picked up on how the woman died, a snake bite. Fallon is not impressed by that at all. Her eyes light up as Madam Eira continues. She's excited to hear the end but when she finally does, she's disappointed.

"He looked back, didn't he?" She asks fully freed from the illusion of the story.

She hasn't noticed me staring at her. She is too immersed in the story.

"Sadly, he did. And with that, she disappeared. Forever."

Fallon honestly looks like she could cry. I have never seen her this, this- well herself actually. She's being herself.

"That's not fair. She shouldn't have died to begin with. Where's the justice in that? If I were him, I'd kill that man who chased her and caused her to die."

Sorin laughs, "I just wouldn't look back."

"Well, that's not easy. He wanted to make sure she was there. Some of us got trust issues." Zale argues.