-19-

Zuri didn't say a word. In fact, none of them did for a while, until Jem snorted and said, "Let me get this straight. You fucking stab Chike last night, hold a knife to Zuri's throat, and now you want to make a deal with us? You don't have very many friends, do you, sir?"

    "Most people don't have friends, even if they think they do," Sorin said, not even a hint of offense in his voice. He glanced up at Zuri and Aldric, the only two still standing, and motioned to the remaining open chairs. "Go ahead. Get comfortable. Believe me when I say you're going to want to hear this, Nainoans."

    Aldric and Chike started at once, "I'm not—"

    "Do I look like I give a shit? Now listen."

    Zuri shared a wary glance with Aldric. She could see the unease in his eyes, his desire to kick Sorin's face in written all over his expression. Nonetheless, she couldn't deny the fact that Sorin had them in a tough spot; there wasn't much they could do against him in broad daylight, surrounded by people. By that same token, there wasn't much he could do, either.

    They were safe, for now. And besides, Zuri found herself terribly curious.

    So she and Aldric sat, giving Sorin a wide berth. "There's still something I don't understand, before you speak," Zuri said, and Sorin looked at her, though there was a scowl on his face as he did. "You made it quite clear the night before that you had no intention of seeing us again. Now you willingly meet us here, and you still haven't told us how you knew what inn we were staying at—"

    Sorin cleared his throat sharply. "I'll be asking the questions, sweetheart," he said. Zuri's skin crawled at the way his tongue caressed the word, so sweet it gave her a stomachache. "All you need to know about me is that I have your fates in my hands, and I could destroy you all if I wanted to. I'd barely have to lift a finger."

    "Big talk for a guy who got cold feet and turned tail last night," Jem said, whistling to herself.

    "It was a tactical retreat, not that I'd expect a bumbling fool like you to understand that," Sorin hissed back, his lip curled. "Perhaps it was you I should've taken a chunk out of instead of Mr. Indestructible over there."

    "Oh yeah?" Jem folded her arms. "Try me."

    "Enough, Jem. Don't poke the bear," Kalindi snapped, smacking Jem gently in the back of the head. "I want to know what he has to say."

    "Wise. As expected of pure royalty," Sorin said, seemingly pleased at the wince the words elicited from Kalindi, her eyes raking the room to ensure no one had heard. He twirled his knife in his hand again, around and around, a spinning glint of silver catching against the light. "You are here per your queen's requests, aren't you?"

    "Who we're working for isn't your business," Aldric said.

    An eyebrow quirked. "So Naino's only princess answers to someone or something else besides her mother's authority, then?"

    At that, Aldric shut his mouth.

    "That's what I thought," said Sorin, meeting each of their gazes in turn. "Anyway, it seems she's put you lot in a most precarious situation. I'm sure you've heard by now, but rumors are spreading that Naino's princess is here, maybe even on a mission to sabotage Sinje's plight for the ownership of Bisagi District. Some theorists have already connected her to the fire at Bem's Market last night."

    Kalindi swallowed, her hands fists at her sides. "That has nothing to do with me. I did no such thing—"

    "I know." Sorin flipped up his knife, tracing its edge with a lithe finger. "I did. It was the only way I could think to corral you like the livestock you are, and well, it worked perfectly."