5

I've only been in the Capitol for maybe two hours tops and I already hate it. As soon as I had gotten off the train I was attacked by defening screams. I think they were calling for Finnick but it was that loud that I couldn't even be sure. 

Tippy escorted us to this weird space ship like floor where all our stylitsts and prep teams 'transform' us. I've never been tortured before but I imagine this is pretty close to it. I've been burned with wax. Hair has been ripped out of every folicle to the point that my skin will probably forever be tinted red.

But the worst of it, is my prep team's belittlemint and complaining about me. Like, for example, 'Why does she have sand in her sculp?'. or 'Gergeory! I can't! I j-just cant! she's got sand under her nails!'. She literally balwed her eyes out at the sight of sand under my finger nails. I started laughing at her and they got so offend that apparently they're going to tell on me to Finnick.

Which, in its self is laughble. Okay, so he did say not to refuse them and do what they said, no matter how much I don't want to. And to be fair I've done just that. Finnick didn't say anything about laughing at them and they kinda started it.

They were very eager to hand me off to my stylist and I got the impression that people from the Capitol are snowflakes. Easily offended and unaware of their own privilage. No wonder they put 24 lambs to the slaughter every year, maybe they really just don't get it. I feel like I'm dealing with a new breed of people all together.

And, adding insult to injury. I'm currently alone and stark naked in an unfamilar room. Great, just great!. 

A man suddenly walked in with a clip board. I'm not even sure how to describe him. The word 'shiny' comes to mind. His skin literally sparkles. I had to blink several times to make sure he's actually real.

He took one look at me and tusked. "Cover up".

Oh. I hastily pulled the gown on beside me in embarrassment. They told me to stay nude for this guy!. Not that I'm complaining but I don't want him to think I was unnecessarily flashing him. Talk about awkward first impressions. 

He wrote a few things down before he huffed to himself. "Seaweed is this years fish".

My head instantly tipped to side in confusion as I took in the sketch. Usually we have pretty costumes or very revealing costumes. It surprised me that this year it's neither. I'm staring at streamers, blue, green and yellow. They hang loosely from the neck in what appears to be a chocker, under that the tribute is wearing a nude body suit. I'm going to be seaweed and not even pretty seaweed. I gave him a tight lipped smile. "It's...different".

If he picked up that my comment was anything but positive then he didn't mention it. Actually, he took it as a que to start assembling it. All well, at least I'll look better than District Twelve. They're always the laughing stock of Panem when in comes to parades. 

This is bad. Not my costume. Okay, yes my costume but something else is worse. I'm standing next to Mags, whose kind eyes smile at me in encouragement. But all around us mentors are staring at me. Which in turn is making me even more uncomfortable in this god awful costume.

A small part of me just wants Finnick to be here. Because I know that no one would bother to stare at me if Finnick was here, they'd simply be staring at him instead. Mentors staring at me and whispering to eachother is making me uneasy. Is it my costume?...it has to be my awful costume!.

I frowned they're not staring at the ugly coal miners from Twelve whose costumes are worse. Why me?...I bit my lip and turned to Mags. "Mags, people are staring".

Mags gurgled to herself which I assume is her version of a laugh. "E'v the po'nt".

I nodded. Yeah, it's the point. For sponsors. It doesn't explain why Haymitch and the other Victors like Cashmere are staring at me!. While Cashmere glared at me when she met my eye, Haymitch gave me a tight lipped nod. It made me uneasy. Of fuck. They know Finnick. And in turn the only logical explanation is that they're staring at me because Finnick told them about m-

"You look beautiful".

I scoffed. Speak of the devil. I turned to face those gorgeous sea green eyes. Finnick looked good in a shirt and black jeans. Comfortable, unlike me. I noticed Rick was now with us and he happily chattered away with Mags. His costume matched mine. I frowned up at him. "I don't feel beautiful".

I'm surprised I even said that. I've never cared what I looked like. I was always the girl running around the district in bare feet with beach waves that resembled a birds nest over actual waves. Finnick smirked and toyed with one of the many streamers that hung from my neck. He chuckled. "Well, I admit it's not our best, but who better to wear it but you. You've never needed a pretty costume, you're already beautiful".

I scoffed and slapped his hand away. "Charming".

He shrugged and looked out at the crowd around us, he looked pointedly at few Victors who stared at me and they instantly went back to their own tributes. Finnick sighed and for a moment, I saw vulnerability shine through him. He suddenly looked exactly like the boy I kissed goodbye before his own games. His arms were around my shoulders, his head had dipped down so his eyes stared into mine. Suddenly I felt like it was a very intimate position to be in with him. A position in which I had no idea how I'd found myself in. 

He gave me a shaky smile. "Remember what I said to you on the train?..". I felt myself nodding dumbly. I knew everyone was staring at us now, I heard cameras flashing and suddenly I knew his plan. I found myself matching Finnick's smirk. Get them to remember you. And now there's no way they won't, not if I'm the girl whose stolen the attention of the Finnick Odair.