𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐧 𝐚𝐰𝐚𝐲 𝐧𝐨𝐰

Even as Dream held her steady on safe ground, Reverie's heart was still beating wildly, her chest heaving as she struggled to catch a breath.

Her grip on Tubbo's wrist slipped to his hand and she held on tightly, offering him some form of comfort, because the boy looked ghastly and in her own state of shock Reverie could not form words of consolation.

"That's the second time I've saved your life," Dream said, a smirk playing at his lips.

Reverie pushed aside the blossom of warmth that bloomed in her chest when Dream initiated friendly banter. It was almost as though they were kids again, holding hands as they ran trough the halls of the castle without a care in the world.

"You've saved me from monsters in the woods a lot too," Reverie added.

Dream's smirk grew, stretching across his face. "That's true. Do I at least get a kiss in return?"

Reverie laughed shortly.

"Nice try, Your Highness," she teased, a grin splitting her face.

"You're flirting again," Tubbo cut in, his voice small and fragile, his face white as snow. He was evidently still recovering from the fall. "Why are you flirting again?"

When Reverie glanced back over her shoulder, Dream was gone. At first she thought he had hurried away to reach the detonator in Phil's house, but then she spotted him on a platform below. He had leapt down and was now engaged in a fight with three people, and he was winning by a long shot.

"They really mean it when they say he's the best combatant around, huh?" Reverie hummed, more to herself than to Tubbo.

"Don't do this, Rev," Tubbo pleaded softly and Reverie's heart clenched when she heard the hopelessness in his voice. Diverting her attention from Dream and instead choosing to focus on her brother, Reverie could see the hopelessness that was laced through his voice swimming in his crystal blue eyes.

Tilting her head to the side, Reverie studied her brother and pondered whether or not his eyes would turn violet when he touched the Blood Vines, just like Reverie's did.

Reverie's heart ached. Tubbo was her brother, the one person she always believed would be by her side. They shared the same eyes, the same mellifluous voice, the same blood. Yet there they stood, as enemies, allowing the rain to drench their identical brown hair as the world crumbled around them.

Tears leaked from the corners of Reverie's eyes, mingling with the waterfall of raindrops that was already streaming down her face. Biting back sobs, she wrapped her arms around Tubbo, pulling him in close for possibly the last hug they would ever share.

Reverie had made up her mind a long time ago and it was not going to change. She was going to destroy L'Manberg, because it had caused nothing but problems for her and everybody else in the country. Even Wilbur, who had loved his nation more than anyone, could see that it was a lost cause. Families had been torn apart and relationships ruined, never to be mended, all for a piece of land and a flag.

Had it not been for L'Manberg, Reverie would still have Dream and Wilbur and Tubbo. Her days would still be filled with laughter and sunshine. Perhaps she and Dream would have gone public with their relationship by now, and they would spend their days laying the grass by the lake together as Tommy and Tubbo messed around in the water and George and Sapnap pretended to be enjoying themselves as Wilbur sang them his songs.

But Reverie didn't have that, because L'Manberg had taken that from her. Maybe it was unhealthy for her to have such a thirst for vengeance, but still, she would not change her mind. She knew she wouldn't be able to rest if she did not finish what Wilbur had started, and she, Dream, Technoblade and Phil seemed to be the only people who could see that L'Manberg would never stop causing problems. Dream could call a ceasefire, step back and finally allow L'Manberg the independence they so desperately craved, but it would make no difference. L'Manberg was a curse and it always had been.