Chapter 10: Just a Job

WARNING Again, not sure what everyone's tolerance for violence is but just giving you guys another heads up: descriptions of death with some blood right in the middle.

***

The Hokage's advisor came for the fated visit and knocked at the door to the Hyuuga home. Her father himself answered the door and called out to Hinata to join them at his office.

"Hiashi," Shikaku said with a low bow towards him. "I apologize for interrupting you on this busy day."

Hiashi waved the apology away. "It's of no consequence, Shikaku. I know why you're here."

They both looked at Hinata.

Shikaku bowed again. "If you will permit me to say that Neji has performed extremely well these last few months. He's been an asset to our political prowess."

"The credit goes to his father, of course."

"Of course," Shikaku agreed. He cleared his throat. "But I've come to ask if Hinata is ready to take on her duty for the clan and for Konoha."

Hiashi looked at Hinata, who met her father's gaze unblinkingly. "I can't answer the question. Only my daughter can do so."

Shikaku then turned his attention to her. "Are you ready to add your name to the roster of assassins for Konoha, Hinata?"

Hinata nodded then said, "Yes, of course, Shikaku-sama."

She then bowed low, touching her forehead to the tatami mat. "I will do my duty."

Shikaku smiled at her. "Then we will be getting in touch with you in a few days. If you can prepare yourself to be ready to go at a few moment's notice, that would be ideal."

"I will be ready whenever you call for me."

"Thank you, Hinata." Shikaku then turned to Hiashi. "Thank you for meeting with me today, Hiashi. Please convey my respects to your father."

Hiashi bowed to Shikaku in response then led him out. But he didn't immediately go back to the office. Instead, he waited a few more minutes, composing himself as he watched the Hokage's assistant walk through the Hyuuga's courtyard, and finally out the gates of the compound.

There was a shriek of laughter from one of the children playing in the courtyard.

That's right. Today, some of the younger clan members were about to start practicing again for the taijutsu lessons.

He turned back to the house and made his way to his office, to where Hinata was still waiting for him. Before he opened the door, Hiashi quietly released a slow, laborious breath, weighted down by something in his chest.

From here on out, his own daughter was going to be an instrument of death.

Oh, Hinata, he thought. I wanted to spare you this burden, but it falls upon us to continue this responsibility. We must do what we can to keep Konoha safe from its enemies.

Hinata looked up when he entered the room. Already, the resolve was in her eyes.

Hiashi looked down at his hands and saw that they were clenched into fists. He wanted to cry. Though he always maintained an unflinching facade in front of his father, he found it difficult to do with his first-born daughter. She was being so brave and accepting of her fate, without even a whimper or a complaint.

She'd accepted the duty that had befallen the chosen Hyuugas.

And the worst part of it was she did it because of love.