Chapter 2

Revised 

Just a reminder for newcomers: Don't read past this chapter for the revised story, it will not make sense!!!!! I am working on the next part now. :)

**********************************************************************

Chapter 2

Present Day
Aurora

"This is a bad idea," Xander remarks, bringing the beer to his mouth. The bottle of Modelo Negra small in his overly thick paw of a hand. At 6'5" and almost 300 pounds of pure muscle, his hands match the rest of his ginormous body. He could easily break the tiny bottle without feeling a thing, the calluses and scars riddling his hands were probably thicker than the glass anyway.

          When I first met him, he was just a scrawny sixteen-year-old boy. He did as I asked and went to talk to Rob, our community's founder, about being able to remain as a permanent member after our encounter in the woods. I wouldn't have realized it was him if I hadn't seen the long scar that ran from the top of his right shoulder blade, under his armpit and down the side of his torso before disappearing under his pants. His beautifully tanned hands had been covered in pink, puckered little scars. He still hasn't told me where he is from, how he got his scars, or what caused a full shift at sixteen and it has been five years. Even with me, the only one he will say more than a few words to, he is closed off about his past.

"When are good ideas any fun?" I ask him playfully, while swirling my Meukow's 90 proof cognac in its glass decanter. I always loved those oversized ice cubes; not everyone has them, but Jimmy makes sure to keep a few laying around just for me. He grunts at me before scanning the room. We come here every week and he is still on edge being around so many people.

"Taunting a predator isn't the smartest move, Rora."

"It worked out well with you, didn't it?" I take an extra long sip of my liquor, happy that I don't have to worry about overly nosy humans carding me. As long as a place was shifter-owned, my age wouldn't be questioned. Most shifter bars don't even take the time to card you anymore since most of our documentation is forged anyway. As long as you have gone through your first shift, no one really cares.

"You were also sober for that meeting," he rumbles. The vibration of his lowly spoken words causing a shiver to skate down my spine. His sheer masculinity had started to affect me ever since my full shift a few nights ago. My jaguar is restless and entirely more sexual than I thought she would be. I haven't had the chance to talk to any other females about it yet, but I'm sure that this is normal for Jaguar shifters that have already found their mates.

"I'm sober now. Z, you know I'm the Henny queen! You have seen me finish off a bottle in a few hours and still be able to walk the white line of sobriety. Just because I'm trying a new brand, which is really good by the way, doesn't mean I can't hold my liquor," I say poking his rock-hard chest. "You know, you are always telling me I should have more fun; I just chose to have a different kind of fun this time."

          I had let it slip to Layla that I was going to be at Prey, a shifter bar and the closest thing to a club in a 30-mile radius around our little community. Of course, this wasn't accidental. I love Layla, but I know she has been slipping Lucien information about my whereabouts. I guess this is her way of trying to force my happy ending. What she doesn't know is that I'm planning to have a little fun with this intentional information leak.