Prologue

Tap. Tap. Tap.

Dewey drummed his fingers on the table, staring at the window across from his seat at the dinner table, his food completely untouched. He wasn’t hungry for food. He was hungry for adventure, and exploration! But, there was one problem. His family. They were a bit...overprotective, to say the very least. Not because he was some small, sickly child who could get hurt easily, no no no. His family was the royal family, and he was one of the princes, along with his triplet brothers, Huey and Louie. Dewey never got to do anything by himself outside of the castle, or at least not anything fun….with permission. Thing was, Dewey was a rule-breaker of sorts. At night, he often snuck out, and wandered throughout the garden, though with the sheer size of it, he still hadn’t explored the whole thing. He planned on going out there tonight though, he loved laying on the flowers near the pond and gazing up at the stars as they reflected onto the water.

But, there was still a bit of time until then, so he just had to wait. His pale blue eyes stared out the window, or at least until he heard some snapping of fingers.

 “Dewey. Honey. You need to eat.” a voice said, belonging to his mother Della looking at him concerned.

“I’m not hungry Mom…” Dewey mumbled.

“Just one piece.” She said sternly, coming over to him and pointing at one of the pieces of meat on his plate. “Then you can go.”

Dewey sighed before quickly engulfing the food. He just wanted to get out and wander about by himself. 

“Thank you, sweetheart. You can go ahead now.” Della said, ruffling his hair before he got up and walked out of the dining room, earning looks from his brothers Huey and Louie. 

"Should we follow him? Something's up." Louie whispered to Huey. 

Huey sighed. "No…I think we should leave him be for now. We can question him later." The oldest triplet whispered back. 

"Oh, we definitely will…"
---
Meanwhile, Dewey went to a balcony that let him see above the garden. The cool evening air washed over him, and it felt like a nice hug. He dangled his arms over the railing as he looked down at the garden maze. It was then that out of the corner of his eye, he saw a moving figure. He shook it off, at least until he heard a voice.
"You're looking pretty somber, sport." The voice said, making Dewey jump. He didn't see anything nor anyone around him, though that changed when a moment later, there was a girl hanging onto the balcony. She had a mask on, but Dewey could still see her eyes, which were a brilliant emerald green color. She had shoulder-length curly red hair and chestnut brown feathers. "What's up?"
Dewey stared at her in disbelief. There was a girl. On his balcony.
"Hey, don't you know it's not polite to stare?" The girl said chuckling, heaving herself up onto the railing.
"O-Oh, um…sorry. Just…not every day that there is a masked girl on the balcony in front of me." Dewey stuttered, looking away.
The girl grinned cheekily. "Well, this is a first for you, then!" She said, swinging her short legs as she sat on the marble railing.
Dewey felt kinda awkward, but against his better judgment, he didn't tell this girl to leave. She was…intriguing. He kind of wanted her to stick around. "So…uh…what are you doing here?"
The mystery girl chuckled. "I could ask you the same thing, my sapphire wearing sovereign." She said, giving him a wink.
"Shouldn't you be with your royyyal family in the royyyal palace?"
Dewey shook his head. "No…just taking a brain break. Long…long day." He said, sighing.
"Figures. I imagine you do a lot without even much as a reward. That's gotta suck, buddy." The girl said, moving positions to where she laid down in her stomach on the railing. "But hey, you're out here now! Not even just out here, you're with me! Such luck you have!"
Dewey laughed softly. "I suppose you're right. Now um- do you want to get off that railing? You look like you could fall off with one gust of wind."
"Mayhaps. Show off your princely strength I suppose.” The girl said, giving him a smug look, though that didn’t last once she was lifted with ease and into Dewey’s arms bridal style. “wELL OKAY-”
Dewey grinned down at her. “You are quite light, I must say. Light as a feather!”
The girl raised an eyebrow at the prince. “Interesting observation…?” She said, earning a chuckle from Dewey. "Uhh…can you put me down?"
"I'm afraid that as payback for you climbing up my balcony and scaring me, I'll have to keep holding you, my fair lady."
The girl rolled her eyes at the label. "Do not call me that, bucko."
"Then what should I call you? You haven't even told me your name." Dewey asked.
She chuckled. "Name's Gosalyn, but you can call me Gos."
"Hmmm…Gos. Nice to meet you." Dewey said when he then heard the calling of his brothers.
"Dewey! Where are you?" He heard Huey call out.
Dewey immediately looked down at Gosalyn before setting her down. "You have to get out of here quickly- perhaps I'll see you some other time?"
Gosalyn smiled as she put her hood back on and climbed back over the railing. "I guess we'll see." She said, hopping back down into the night.