Chapter 14

Luca's anguish was like a crack in the earth. It rattled humanity and left destruction in its wake. A piercing growl ripped from his chest agonizingly, filling the woods around us like an omen. I shook, wrapping my arms around myself as I felt my heart pounding anxiously in my chest. 'He's in so much pain. He is my soul. My love.'
          I reached for him, hands grasping his as his head leaned forward and I heard his heavy breathing. His body rumbled with pain, physically vibrating as I pulled him into me, and rested my head against his chest. "Anima mea." I repeated his adoring nickname to him and stroked his back. "You are strong."
'You will overcome.'
          I knew he could hear my thoughts and the intimacy that came from speaking to him through them seemed fitting for the situation. Especially considering Taila was staring, jealousy clear in her gaze as I caressed Luca. 'I will remain by your side. Forever.' Luca groaned, raising his head, he peered deeply into my eyes and for once, instead of that raging, confident anger, I saw a vulnerability that rocked me sideways. I blinked rapidly, only remembering one moment where he lost control like this. 'When he thought I was going to die. He cried... I remember. Just before I passed out. It kills me to see him like this.'
          He stepped back from me, grabbing my arms, squeezing reassuringly before letting them drop down to my sides. "I must go to him."
'How can I let him go without a kiss?' He read my mind, pulling me into him, capturing my face before leaning on for a kiss. "He's back at your house. We've tried to help him." Her voice quivered as if she was remorseful, but I didn't believe any ounce of her bullshit. 'She just doesn't seem genuine.'
"Rae-" Luca heard my insult. I shrugged. 'Sorry. Go find your uncle, my love.'
"I will be back." He whipped around and disappeared down the steps and into the woods. One more night and soon he would be running on all fours like his pack. Me as well. 'It's petrifying.'
          Taila cocked her head sideways and narrowed her eyes. "Scared?"
"No."
'She doesn't need to know that.'
"I want to see my mom."
"I'll take you to your mother." Her voice quivered and I frowned, uncertainty settling in my gut, causing a bout of nausea that made me hesitate. "Actually -"
"No, it's okay. I know you've been waiting to see her. The change was hard on her, but we walked her through... as we will you."
          She gestured for me to follow and began walking deeper into the house. I blinked a few times, glancing around for other pack members, but coming up empty. I stared out at the woods briefly, but when no one resurfaced from them, I decided it was better to go with her than stand vulnerable by myself. "Okay." With a deep breath, I followed Taila. 'I've never seen this part...'
"We're going towards the back."
"The back?"
"Of the mansion. It's where she wanted to be. We couldn't move her."
"Oh." I nodded. I thought of how scared my mom must have been. 'She never thought in a million years that she'd be turned. But she was... And as horrible as it sounds, I'm glad. I didn't want to have to choose between her and the wolves. Between her and my destiny. It would've been the hardest thing to do because Luca calls to me. I cannot resist him any longer.'
          The further we got towards the back, the more I shivered. It was instinctual. 'Probably because I don't trust her... She's obviously in love with Luca. Anyone like that might have malicious intentions.' My eyes moved down her body, over her curves and butt. 'She's gorgeous... And I feel plain next to her. Would he even choose me if it weren't for fate?' I shook my head, knowing I was venturing into dangerous territory. My self-esteem wasn't the best growing up, and that moment was not the time to go delving into those issues. 'I just want to know my mothers alright.'
          When we got to a thick oak door, Taila twisted to glance at me quickly, amusement in her eyes. 'I can tell we aren't going to get along. Not even in the slightest.'  When she pushed open the back door, my eyes skated over the field of grass and the line of woods, I saw the silhouette of a wolf. The wolf was whining and I squinted, realizing it was the same color as my mother. "Mom!" I shoved past Taila, running to the wolf when another one stepped out of the shadow of trees and intercepted me from my mom. My eyes widened as I moved over the thick fur and the vast creature. Blood painted it's face. "Ethan. H-he's not dead."
          I knew by looking at him that it was him. Those same vicious eyes have stared me down like that before. I reached up, stroking my neck at the memories. 'I thought I was going to die. Luca saved me. I don't know how I ever doubted him. But now, I will fight to save my mother. Whatever it takes.'
"Ethan... You need to let my mother go."
          A snarl rolled off his tongue as he bared his teeth. He stepped forward and I gasped, whipping around to stare at Taila whose face was guarded. 'Is she going to do anything?'
"Taila." I hissed her name. She swallowed, her jaw tensed. "I thought you said he was dead•
"I-I thought he was. I heard him screaming."
'Very convincing performance.' I shook my head, moving my eyes cautiously back to Ethan as he snapped his attention to my whimpering mother. "Go get Luca. Now." She just stood there, like I hadn't instructed her to do something. I hissed at her. "Go get him now!" She gulped and nodded before spinning around and heading back into the mansion. "'Mom." I gently called to her. I knew she heard me because she howled softly. "She's alive." Ethan hissed again and I shook my head. "Ethan, please don't hurt her. She was lied to this entire time."
          Another growl and he turned, moving back towards my mother. "Ethan, my father was nothing. He lied to her this entire time. Fed her crap until she was so scared of you she didn't know what to do so she ran. Please!" He stopped in front of her. I saw her licking her wounds. He glanced back at me. 'Maybe I'll get through to him. Maybe he'll understand.'
"Jaxon told me everything." I stepped forward. "He told me the truth. My father wanted to be alpha, and he'd stop at nothing to get it. He'd stop at nothing to keep you from having it, so he stole her away from you. He never loved her: it wasn't about some passionate affair. I wasn't something he even fucking cherished. He wanted to divide and conquer, and I'm sorry." I gestured at my mom. "I'm sorry she wasn't strong enough to realize the truth. I wish she had been." I widened my arms. 'Where the hell is Taila with Luca. It shouldn't take this long... Luca usually senses these things.'
          My chest felt tight as I heard my mother whimper again. The need to protect her had always been strong. Even when I was little. She was all I had growing up. 'And I will protect her... Even if that means laying down my life for her.'
"Ethan please! Be bigger than my father was! Don't hurt her. Not for the manipulation. She's changed. You've changed. You will no longer suffer the pain and decay from the curse. Her mistakes can't hurt you any longer." Despite the fact he was in wolf form, Ethan seemed to have been contemplating my words. His eyes softened and he lowered his lips down over his teeth so they weren't presented aggressively as he stared at me. 'I know he can be better. He was supposed to be my father. My mother's actions changed fate..' He huffed as everything happened so fast, I didn't have time to register it. He whipped around, growled and lunged for my mom. "Mom!"
          I was running before it was too late. I didn't think about the consequences, or anything, just the heartbreaking sounds of Ethan tearing pieces of my mom apart. When I got to him, I threw myself at him. "No!" I was so engrossed in clawing at his fur, and getting his teeth from my mothers flesh, I barely heard Luca in my head. 'Rae, no!'
'I have to do this! She's my mother!'
'Anima mea!' His voice boomed in my head so loud I heard my skull splitting in half but I kept fighting, even as Ethan threw me from him. I scrambled up, my body aching with each movement as we stared each other down. "I won't let you hurt her. I will fight you even to death if I have to. She is my family." He growled at me but I didn't back down. I crouched, ready to attack. When he lunged, I gasped and screamed when he matched into my arm, throwing me sideways. His teeth dug so deep that when he threw me, they scraped the bone. "Ah!" I screamed as the pain shot through me, hoping that somehow the piercing sound of my shrieks was enough to propel Luca forward quicker.
          The pain ripped up my arm to my chest, and I peered down at the red that was painting my skin, blood oozing from teeth marks. He moved back to my mom, and I realized that it was her he was trying to get to. I was just a nuisance. His interest and problems were with her and no matter what it wouldn't end unless he ended her. I held the wound, tears prickling in my eyes as it dawned on me that that could be the last time I would ever see my mother or my alpha. I would never kiss Luca again. Never feel his powerful hands on me, but maybe that was how it always was supposed to be. 'Maybe he will change regardless of my demise. And he will mate and be happy... Even if it can't be with me. Because love is selfless. It's reckless, and it's caring. As a wolf... With Pierce blood coursing through my veins — I will abide by the ways of the wolf.' I stood. 'I will not cower in the face of danger. I will protect those in the pack. Even when I know it will kill me.'
          My heart ached for the pain I knew Luca would go through and with one last gasp of breath, I lunged for Ethan. Teeth and blood and pain coursed through me as he bit and teared at my flesh but I didn't let that stop me from digging my teeth deep into his fur along his neck. 'Just as I did Jaxon, I will tear him apart with my teeth.' My mouth pooled with warm blood each bite. Ethan howled painfully and I moved to another spot, clamping my teeth over his ear, tearing it from his body. I felt the blood loss weighing me down and each breath became harder to drag into my lungs. 'He's bleeding too. That's all that matters.' I screamed and dug my teeth as far as I could into his back. He bucked me off and I flew, the meat on his body tucked in between my teeth having ripped from him.
          When I landed, I knew that was it. I blinked, trying to keep my eyes open as I watched Ethan stumbling. His fur was painted with blood but it wasn't my mothers this time. It was his. 'A taste of his own fucking medicine.' I sighed, feeling my life slowly slipping away. It was cold, and scary but I couldn't hold on much longer. I heard a growl, followed by Luca's voice. "Rae! Rae! No!" His arms encircled me, holding me closely to that warm chest where his heart thumped for me. 'And only for me. My soul. My mate. I will miss you..' I heard him cry out, and the sound was earth shatteringly painful. The darkness was too heavy. 'I'm lost to it.. To death. Save my mother..' I managed with the last bit of strength I had to open my eyes as he pulled away from me and turned to address Ethan.
          The warmth from his arms was gone, I heard him growling before I heard the whimpering of a wolf and the mighty words of a man avenging his mate. "Ethan! You are a traitor amongst our pack! You have destroyed my mate! Anima mea! My fucking soul! And you have destroyed me! And now, you will die." The cracking of bones, the howling of wolves, and the pain of the man of my destiny was what sent me off into permanent darkness.