The Mystery Fighter III (5)

«Let's try that again. This time, try not to ruin my bike, ok?»

I positioned myself in front of my motorcycle, grabbing the handles next to Zayden's hands.

«Remember; this is your clutch.» I pointed at the clutch lever located on the left side of the handlebar, gripping and releasing it in demonstration. «It works the same way it does in your car, only you steer it with your hands, not your feet. Oh, and you can't skip any gears.»

Zayden nodded intently, ushering me aside to try again.

I crossed my arms across my chest, levelling my eyes on Zayden and the bike. Though his first solo round around the parking lot had resulted in my motorcycle being scraped against the gravel, causing my whole body to wince, his second and third try thankfully had the vehicle suffering less injuries.

My hands itched to take matters into my own hands, and guide him and the bike around the lot correctly. I fought the urge to remove Zayden off the seat and end the torture. This wasn't nearly as fun and hilarious as I had imagined. Not when my bike was the victim.

I winced as Zayden tried to steer the wheels around the first corner, his movements too sharp and lacking the proper balance to round the angle smoothly. He let out a short shout of surprise when the bike made a sudden and sharp turn, but managed to stabilise it quickly enough.

«Try increasing the speed!» I yelled to him. I let out a short chuckle at the sight of his unsteady figure trying to gain control over the handles. Bless him. He looked to be way out of his element.

My heart could finally calm down as Zayden eventually seemed to be getting the hang of it. He was a quick learner, much to my relief.

Though I could see that he wanted to continue, he no doubt took notice of my anxious expression and called it quits.

«Thanks for the lesson, dear tutor. I'm now an expert,» Zayden joked as he kicked down the stand on the motorcycle and removed the helmet.

I smirked and gave him a quick applause. «I would expect nothing less of my students.»

He swooped down and gave me a kiss, lingering for a moment before pulling back and dismounting the bike. Ignoring the growing warmth in my cheeks, I took the helmet and put it in my gym bag. I still couldn't get used to him showing me affection so carelessly.

The parking lot was empty, no doubt due to it being past eleven on a Thursday night. The street lights were on, orange shadows painting spots onto the gravel around us. We walked my motorcycle over to a fence on the far side of the lot, picking a spot underneath one of the illuminating lights.

Retrieving a protein bar from my jacket pocket, I broke it in half and dealt a piece to Zayden before settling onto the fence. He leaned on the fence next to me and chewed off a piece.

«Did your dad teach you that too? Riding a motorcycle?» Zayden asked, swallowing the last bite.

I crumpled the wrapper in my hand and shoved it back into my jacket pocket. «Well, partly. He had showed me the basics of steering and gearing, but died before I could do my first ride outside the driveway of his garage. One of his colleagues ended up teaching me the rest later.»

Zayden looked up at me in disbelief. «Weren't you like 14?»

I nodded. «He was an impatient man. He didn't waste any time when it came to teaching me stuff. Riding, fighting and even math; it was almost like he couldn't pass his knowledge on fast enough.»

«What did your mother think about that? You learning how to throw hands and out riding a death mobile at that age. God, she must have been horrified.»