Into a Habit

Summary: An enemies-to-lovers trope oneshot where the Mandalorian is sent to a planet to cash in a bounty but arrives to see the dead bodies of his employers strewn across a ballroom. When he catches you at the scene not long after his arrival, he assumes you're the killer and begins to fight, but the conversation stops when a third party arrives. The next time he's close enough to touch you is when he is sent to kill you.

He doesn't know it yet, but bodies are piled from the entryway to the back of the room

He doesn't know it yet, but bodies are piled from the entryway to the back of the room. The binary suns of this planet have set, so it's practically pitch black in this massive ballroom, with only the tiny light of the moon to guide him as he walks down the hallway of this spacious manor. Strangely, there are no stars.

Large gusts of wind are blowing in from several directions, so there must be windows ajar. Din squints, but his visor's night vision mode doesn't show him anything farther than half a meter ahead of him. Something crunches beneath the soles of Din's shoes as he enters. When he glances down, he sees that it's broken shards of transparisteel, signaling that this room has been disturbed.

On reflex, Din's hand whips out the blaster in his holster. He takes another careful step, but another substance crunches beneath his feet, and he thinks that it's wood. Upon closer examination, he notices that the wood has come from table legs that have been broken off. Splinters are scattered across the floor, along with more transparisteel shards, and when he takes another step, a dark patch of liquid enters his vision.

Din knows that a fight of some kind has occurred here, but his lack of vision and this trail of what seems to be blood aren't calming his nerves. Although he tilts his head up and to the side, he can't see anything. But when he looks down again, his heart jumps out of his chest.

Half a dozen Imperial death troopers are lying before him, stacked like poker chips in an illegal casino on Coruscant. The shiny black armor is glinting, and for the first time in a long while, Din is shell-shocked by the skills of another warrior. He stands there for a moment. His mind wanders, wondering who could have done that. It's then that he registers the light footsteps of someone creeping upon him. He smirks, knowing that they don't know he's aware of their appearance.

Before they can make a move on him, Din rapidly turns around and shoots blankly into the open space. He can't see who they are, but he might as well try to maim them. There is no response; a muffled groan or steps running away for Din to pinpoint where the person is now. He assumes that he's missed and his mind races to figure out where the person is. Whoever they have probably killed the Imperial death troopers, and that's no easy feat. Now that physically drawing out the enemy was rendered ineffective, it was time for Plan B, or to verbally draw them out.

"You killed them." He says it slowly, with the precision of someone scanning every possible way to engage the enemy. Din listens for more footsteps, but can't hear anything but his own breathing.

All of a sudden, the blaster in his hand has been roughly kicked aside and Din's on the floor, trapped under the momentum of a body on top of him.

Straddling him, you say, "Pack it up, Mando."