Chapter 24

***Zara's POV***

"I hope the food is good. Not that it matters much I could eat a whole head of cabbage!" My aunt commented on the way down the stairs. She was following right behind me as we walked down into the foyer. The diner was located opposite of the staircase across the entrance on the first floor. I glanced around looking for a staff member, but it looked more like a cafeteria sort of situation. We found an empty spot near the center of the table on the far right. Theo caught my eye. He smiled warmly at me and I returned the gesture. His head turned to the person next him and whispered something into the man's ear. James's head popped up from his phone and smiled at me as well. Unable to help myself I smiled and waved. They took it as a form of encouragement and got up and walked across the hall to sit with us.

"Hello boys. Fancy seeing you here." Auntie jokes. "Hungry?"

"Starving!" Theo said dramatically as he threw his head back for extra effects.

"May we sit with you guys?" James asked politely.

"Yeah." I said.

We all sat silently listening to the murmur in the hall. Three long tables were set up with empty glasses, cutlery, and napkins. As I scanned the hall looking for Conlan I saw that many pack members were looking at me and whispering among themselves. It was a bit uncomfortable, but it's not like the situation was unfamiliar. This often happened to me growing up and I've learned to deal.

"Alpha Luna."

I turned to see Gamma Rolland look down at me. He knelt down beside me so we were more on an even eye level. His dark brown eyes looked me over with a worried expression.

"Are you not feeling well?"

"She has a fever." The hall went completely silent. It's not normal for a wolf to have a fever unless they were doing really bad. "Something hot to drink and something light to eat should fix her right up after a good night's rest." Auntie said with confidence. Her eyes brimmed with wisdom.

"We'll if you say so." Rolland gave an anxious smile. "You were always the best healer."

"Thanks dear." A sad smile graced her lips. "How's your father doing?"

"Fine. He's already recovered."

"That's good. I'm sorry I'm not much help anymore." She sighed. I reached to hold her hand.

"Don't say that Miss Hazel. If it wasn't for you my family would have died." The woman's voice was warm and kind. "It was you that healed their injuries that would have killed them. And it was so encouraging to see the Alpha Luna's fight. I remember being so scared and huddled around my brothers." A few young men that looked just like her stepped closer and nodded. "But when I saw your mom fight I felt my fright melt away. When I saw you fight, a wolf younger than me, I couldn't help but be rallied by your bravery. Especially since, our pack probably didn't deserve our Alpha's protection."

I just stared at her and then at all the faces staring back at me. No words formed. Not a sound.

"All we ask is for a way to set things right. We just want the opportunity to prove it to you. Of course we will respect any decision you make, but please let us fight for you until the Rogue King is dead." Rolland interjected.

James's sigh drew my attention. His expression was far away and somewhat sad. In the far corner wait staff came out with the meals. Apparently they have been pre arranged and prepared before hand to expedite the dining experience.

"Well we can't kill anyone on an empty stomach." I said. The comment earned me a few smiles. At that moment I felt the guilt weighing on my shoulders lighten. 'Or maybe it's my fever.' Everyone then filled in the empty chairs as close to me as possible until it spilled over onto the other tables. I didn't even protest when Auntie asked for a special meal and a cup of hot herbal tea for me.