Change of Heart

Reno leaned heavily against the shower wall as he washed the soot and blood from his body.  Flashbacks of what had happened going through his mind.  It was always like that after a battle.  He was good at what he did but he did not relish it like some of the guys.  He had been raised with a very strong value for life.  He had been the kid that would cry when a bug was killed.  Yet his life had been a stream of blood and death.  He had chosen it by going into the military but he had been unprepared for what that would mean exactly.  He had built up a high wall to hold in the emotions but inside, he felt broken.  Yet this time... It was different.

He had no remorse for what he had done.  It was a bit of a shock for him but he relished destroying those men.  It was different than the random killings on the battlefield.  These men had dared to touch someone he... He groaned and ran his hand down his face.  No, no, no... 

Reno was frustrated as he got out of the shower.  What the hell?  He towel dried fast, put on a clean pair of pants and a shirt that he tucked in.  He was going to find Kakashi.  He needed someone to beat up on for a little bit since he couldn't beat up on himself.

Kakashi was outside with Tiberius when he reached their home.  His brother-in-law looked up at him and seemed to know as he told Tiberius to go play with his brother before silently following him out into the field that they usually sparred in.  

He launched immediately into several kicks, punches, and twists.  Kakashi was a great source to spar with because he was able to easily deflect anything he sent his way.  Today, however, he was getting a little bit of the upper hand as he was frustrated and not holding back.  After a long period of time, Kakashi held his hand up while peering at him.

"Are you trying to spar or kill me?" 

Reno smirked slightly, knowing the other man could take him out long before he got the chance.  "Sorry, old man.  I'm just a bit frustrated."

Kakashi lowered his head with a heavy sigh.  "I heard about what happened."

"I need to get better with my Ninjutsu," Reno responded.  "I tried to put the fire out but I couldn't produce anything worth shit.  It's probably a good thing because I wouldn't have gone in as soon but still... It would have been nice having a little more fire power.  I've never had to battle people that can literally throw fire and wind at you."

"Your grasp of it isn't fully connected yet," Kakashi said.  "Since there was less moisture available to draw on, it required a greater control to gain that upper hand."

Reno sat down in the dirt and pulled his legs up to his chest, to wrap his arms around them.  He knew the older man could understand the conflict inside.  He looked at him, "Kakashi... have you ever not felt bad about what you've done?"

"There comes a point where you don't think over it anymore," Kakashi admitted.  "It is more automation."

"No, that's not what I meant.  I've been that way for years now when it comes to battle in war."  Reno looked off into the distance.  "This time... I enjoyed it.  I took pleasure in snuffing their lives out because..."

"Because of Tenten," Kakashi concluded for him.

Reno looked back at him and nodded. "What the hell is wrong with me?  When I saw her knocked out and that guy trying to haul her off, I totally lost it Kakashi."

Kakashi walked over to him and knelt down.  He clapped him on the shoulder, giving one of those eye smiles of his before saying, "Welcome to loving a woman.  It will make you crazy."

Reno groaned, "I was hoping you'd have better advice than that.  I don't want to have feelings for that opinionated... stubborn... sassy... beautiful woman!"

Kakashi laughed at that before straightening.  "I supposed this means that you'll have to pound on me a bit more.  Let's do this and once you get it out of your system, we can practice on your Ninjutsu."

Several hours later, they were both exhausted.  Kakashi clapped him on the shoulder as they started to leave one another's company.  Reno glanced at him and raised a brow.

"Let this old man give you some advice, Reno," Kakashi said.  "Don't fight it.  Things go so much easier for everyone if you just embrace the chaos of love."

Reno chuckled and gave a slight nod.  "Says the man who married my sister who is chaos itself."

Reno was in a better state of mind as he jogged back home.  He decided to do some practice shooting, just because it would relax him.  He had to decide what he was going to do with Tenten.  He absently touched the cheek she had slapped.  Firecracker.

***

Tenten could hear the crack of Reno's weapons as she approached.  She was going to come from a direction he could see her this time.  He was so focused intently on shooting he did not see her at first.  He slowly lowered the rifle when he noticed her finally.  He tilted his head to the side and then frowned.  She almost stopped at the look he was giving her.  He did not look happy to see her.

"What do you want?" he asked bluntly.

She stopped and crossed her arms defensively in front of herself.  "You said you'd teach me how to shoot those."

Reno's mouth partly dropped open, he then snapped it shut.  He grabbed his guns up, shoving them into a bag then slung it over his shoulder.  "No."

Tenten's gaped after his back as he started walking back to his house.  "But you..."

"No, Tenten, I'm not in the mood.  Go home," Reno stated flatly as he kept walking.

She had to speed up to keep up with his long legs.  She moved in front of him and walked backwards as she looked up at him since he was not slowing down.

"Listen, I'm sorry I slapped you... I reacted and it wasn't so bad... and I'm really-"

She tried to stand in front of his door.  He sighed heavily, picked her up and set her to the side.  He then went inside the house and slammed the door.  She stared at the closed door with her mouth hanging partly open.  She then got mad.  He wasn't going to even let her try to make amends.

"Oh that's some bullshit!" she growled under her throat.