PART SEVEN: SPIRIT

Thank you to everyone who has read this, and especially to those who have voted, commented, or added DEMISE to their reading list! I really appreciate it!

Have you forgotten? The bond between Mother and Child is one that you cannot even begin to comprehendLies on the Moor, a Popular Caligoson Play

The choked scream that erupted from Rayne was the only sound as the village watched in silence as Deidamia's black blood gushed down the stone, trickling into the grooves on the rock. Each drop that fell on the ground hissed, killing and withering the grass it touched and scorching like acid into the earth. No birds cawed, no insects buzzed, no wind rushed through the trees. There was only silence, the sound of Rayne's grief, and the quiet murmurs of Mark as he tried to contain his sorrow and comfort his wife.

She felt like she was drowning, slowly. There wasn't enough air, her lungs were burning, and still Rayne was alive. She watched Deidamia's motionless body and suddenly, the numbing realization came in full force. Tears trickled down her cheeks.

They waited. One minute, two minutes, three minutes. And nothing happened. Nothing changed.

Then, suddenly, Deidamia's body disappeared in a flash, seemingly swallowed by the darkness. Rayne rushed forward, but it was gone. Even the blood had disappeared; the only evidence of the sacrifice was the dead grass around the rock.

"What...?" Seer Rosaline whispered, staring.

A collective shriek issued from all of the villagers as a woman appeared over the sacrificial stone. She was floating in midair, a circlet with a bright piece of polished jade resting atop her sleek black hair, silver bracelets and anklets adorned with diamonds, and black necklaces of obsidian. Her lips were painted black and bright, winged eyeliner accentuated her stormy grey eyes. Giant, shimmering black wings were folded against her back, covered in soft feathers.

"Goddess Ernaline," gasped Chief Melrosana.

"Deidamia," cried Rayne.

Demarkalos stared, mouth agape. "Ernaline...is Deidamia?" he whispered, shocked.

"Very astute," Ernaline smiled at her former adoptive father. "And may I say that you and Rayne were stellar adoptive parents, Rayne especially."

"But...how?" Rayne asked, her eyes wide.

"Our dear Lepkatrana was correct," Ernaline said sardonically, glancing at the individual in question, who turned pale and shrunk from her gaze. "I was a test. But not to bless you or curse you. Merely determine your afterlife."

Lepkatrana fainted. The same council member that yelled at Rayne the day before caught her, staring at Ernaline. "But...but the prophecy promised a reward for the sacrifice! To end all suffering and light up the world in ways we couldn't have imagined!"

"Ah, yes. Of course. You have been promised a...reward of sorts. As you released me, I now release you; as you ended my suffering, I now end yours."

The last thing Rayne saw was Deidamia--no, Ernaline--raise her hand majestically as an unexplainable feeling of tranquility replaced her fear, before a bright, burning flash of light consumed her and everything faded to blackness as she was released into the unknown promise of the afterlife.