IX

"Do we have any Bobcats in the house?" Flynn yells into her mic. The school cheers as a response. "Everybody make some noise!" The cheers become even louder as everyone begins to get hyped. "Okay, okay, okay. Not too much noise, there's an anger management meeting down the hall." Everyone erupts into laughter, but quiets down, not wanting to anger the people down the hallway. Flynn continues DJ-ing as Julie walks into the gym, now adorned with red and blue streamers and balloons. She waves up at Flynn who motions her over.

"How you feeling?" Flynn yells over the loud music. "I'm a little nervous!" Julie responds. "You'll be fine! All your gear's backstage! Come on!" Julie walks up the stage, hiding in the wings. Flynn leaves her stand and walks up to her. "Oh my gosh! You look amazing!" "Thanks! It's my mom's, I finally went through her stuff." Genevieve comes up, hugging Julie from behind. "We finally went through her stuff." Julie laughs, hugging Genevieve's arms. "Yes. I can't take all the credit. There were a lot of clothes to choose from, but we settled on this." Julie motions to her tie-dye net crop top with a black tank top underneath, and a pair of cool looking jeans. "She would've loved that you wore that." Flynn says, admiring Julie's outfit.

"Are the guys here?" Genevieve asks. "No, but they will be. They know how important this is to me." Julie says. Flynn nods, walking up to her stand to make an announcement. "Is everybody fired up for Julie and the Phantoms?" The school cheers as a response, carrying on with their dancing. "Great! Keep that fire 'cause that's later! We're a bit behind schedule, but don't worry, just enjoy these mind-blowing beats!" Flynn continues DJ-ing as Julie and Genevieve sit down. "I'd enjoy these mind-blowing beats if the guys were actually here. It's already past nine." "They'll be here Jules. I reminded them before I came." Genevieve says to her. Flynn smiles at them before motioning Julie to get up.

The two girls look behind them to see Nick standing there. "Nick! Look Gen, it's Nick!" Julie says, chuckling awkwardly. Genevieve nods, walking over to Flynn, not wanting to ruin their moment. "Thanks for the introduction." Nick says back to her. "So you made it." "Wouldn't miss it. The truth is, I can't wait to see you play again. Your song has been stuck in my head for weeks." "Well, someone should let it out." Julie cringes at her reply, wondering why she would say something as stupid as that. Nick looks back at her, a confused expression written all over his face. "I don't know what that meant, either." Julie looks down as the conversation pauses. "I like your shoes." Nick says, walking closer to her. "Thanks. I just like to doodle on them sometimes." Julie says, looking up at Nick. Has he always been standing this close to her? Carrie comes in behind them.

"I can't tell if the crowd is getting restless or bored. Never a good sign." She says, linking arms with Nick. She finally notices Julie. "Oh, hi, Julie. Went shopping second hand in a Goodwill again?" Carrie says sarcastically. "Actually, it's my mom's so-" "Oh, so simple. You know, I was expecting something a little more... sophisticated." She says, not caring about Julie's explanation. "It's what's on the inside that counts, so congrats on being an insensitive bitch." Julie says. "I'd rather have meaningful clothes that last a long time, rather than fast fashion like you." She continues. Carrie steps up closer to Julie, her head held high. Julie shrinks down, hating herself for being small. "Yeah, that's what a lot of people have to tell themselves." She snickers. She fixes her pink furry coat, making sure her denim crop top and miniskirt are okay. She looks at her high heel white boots, admiring them. Genevieve walks up, separating the two girls before they attack each other. "Come on Car, let's go get some drinks, yeah?" Carrie nods and begins walking away with Genevieve. "Come on, Nick." She says to him. He waves bye to Julie as they all walk off. Julie gets her phone and looks at the time. Her screen mocks her with 9:15. "Keep it funky y'all!" Flynn says enthusiastically.

Genevieve, Carrie, and Nick walk down to the table full of food. Carrie grabs a red solo cup filled with punch. "Is there a place to put in a request because I request we leave." Nick holds Carrie's hand. "Come on. Flynn's great!" "What is it with you and these girls? Don't think I didn't see you get all nice and cozy with Julie a second ago." "I'm at a dance. There's music. Why can't you just chill?" "I'm sorry, but there's something about amateur night that makes me a little queasy." "Look, all I'm saying is that-" "What?" Nick takes a deep breath. "Nothing. I'm gonna go get some air." Carrie scoffs. "Can you believe him? Making eyes at Julie and then insisting I chill? Unbelievable." "Yeah... Not his brightest moment. I'm with you." Genevieve agrees.