chapter 2

Sang

Walking into the kitchen, the first thing I see is green. Green play-doh everywhere. On the table, on the counter, on Brittas face. I close my eyes and sigh. Looking up, I find my angles looking at me, their facing telling me they know they did something wrong. I lift an eyebrow and they jump into action, running around collecting all of the substance. These kids were my life. Britta has long hair at six years old, her baby fat fading from her face. Her nose is a bit bigger and straighter than mine, indicating that she wouldn't be a carbon copy of me when she gets older. Her eyes though, those were mine. Like looking in a mirror. She was quieter than her brother, preferring to read her books instead of running around the back yard. She wanted to read the Hunger Games, and while she was definitely intelligent enough to understand them, I didn't know that I wanted to expose her to that much violence at six. I had instead turned her to sign language last month. She knew the alphabet perfectly. Both of my children were extraordinarily smart, however Beau preferred art and athletics to academics. Last year he had won a state wide competition with his painting of a bird. He never let me pick out his clothes, insisting on doing it himself. And boy was he good at it! Every time he left the house, he looked like a kids magazine model. His short blond hair, button nose, and big green eyes didn't hurt either. He would be a heart breaker in a few years. He had picked up some French, which seemed inevitable if he was interested in fashion. He was happy to know that I had literally named him handsome. Last year he had passed his yellow belt testing in Ju Jitsu. He was very proud of that. They were both way ahead for there age, but I never wanted to deny them the opportunity to learn. And with the Academy at my disposal, it was easy to provide them with whatever they wanted. I hid my smile, and turned to start on breakfast. They finished cleaning up , and we all scarfed down chocolate chip pancakes and egg. After the dishes had been put in the sink, I turned to them.

I have a surprise for you guys!

Both of their eyes went wide and Beau started to hop around the kitchen.

A surprise! Mama what is it?!

Britta didnt say anything, but I knew she was just as impatient to be let in on the secret.

Hmm. Well, I might have been thinking about taking you guys to the beach today

Before I could say anymore, grins spread across their faces and they took off to their rooms, Beau yelled at Britta to let him pick out her outfit. I would think she would be fine with that, as he usually did anyway. I go around and pack a bag full of towels, sunscreen, snacks and anything else we might need.

The twins burst into the living room as Im finishing. Beau wears an artfully torn black shirt with green cargo shorts, black flip-flops on his feet. He holds a black bag with a big red star on it, and I know that hes packed a extra set of clothes, along with his trunks. Britta is clothed similarly with a ruffled pink top, plain black shorts, and silver bejeweled flip-flops. She holds a purple bag with a butterfly on it. Her bathing suit strap is visible, so I can only imagine the Beau has packed her an outfit as well.

We head out to the car. Its beach time