Free Time

A/N Most of you won't remember Hayden Christensen, but he played Anakin Skywalker in Star Wars Episode 2 and 3. I had one English classmate who really thought he was dreamy (RIP Adrianne), and I agreed. Knowing me and my propensity for celebrity dreams, I had probably dreamt about him trying to sweet talk a young, newlywed me. As we were trying to write neurotic characters, I put this story in the POV of a not-so-jealous boyfriend.

***

Mandon had a good dream. He dreamt that Lara had dumped him for Hayden Christensen. In this dream, Mandon had been waiting for her in his starched dorm room. The crowded hallway outside growled with students, but he was at peace scrubbing his windows and cupboards by himself. Though she wasn't on time, he didn't mind it much-she was around too much anyway, and she wouldn't let him clean when she was here.

The setting of his dream shifted, and now Mandon was gathering trash in the hallway. When his arms were full, he looked up to see Lara pushing through the crowd of students. He cursed and dumped the trash in the nearest receptacle, frustrated that he couldn't do any more picking up. He called to her across the hall, but she was distracted by the sudden appearance of a tall man with long, wavy golden hair. At first Mandon didn't recognize him, but he heard a name whispered throughout the hall: Hayden Christensen.

The dream shifted again, and Mandon was next to a now seated Lara. He watched as her initial surprise turned to fascination as Hayden's quiet voice charmed her.

"I would make out with you if my boyfriend weren't here," she told Hayden earnestly, nodding toward Mandon.

"Does that matter?" Hayden looked at Mandon inquisitively, as if asking permission. Mandon shrugged. Hayden smiled at her, holding out his hand, "See, my love, we are free to be together." His voice was soothing. Lara accepted his outstretched hand and they stood together.

Mandon didn't bother watching as they moved away through a crowd that parted for them, but instead he stood and walked the opposite direction to the janitor's closet, a lightness to his step and a smile one his face. It had been such a good dream.