Promise Ring

"Do you have to be so cheesy all the time?"

"Well, I don't want to be, but you know you're the one who caused me to be cheesy in the first place."

Harry laughed, leaning against the blonde,"I can't argue with that."

Draco kissed the top of his head and snaked his left arm around the skinny boy's waist, breathing in the cold night air that swept past them.

The moonlight reflected off the black lake making a majestic glow to the whole scenery. Draco looked at his man and smiled to himself. He took his right hand and brushed a lock of thick black hair that covered the faded scar on his forehead.

Harry's eyes fluttered shut at the touch and leaned in even closer to Draco.

"You're warm." Harry mused with delight.

Draco hummed in return still stroking his hair.

They sat there for what seemed like an eternity. Just too boys that grew up too fast in a very cruel world. The trees danced in the wind and made shapes across the lake that looked way to alike to the people who had fought and died in the war.

My mind is an odd place, the blonde thought to himself, now looking back at the Castle which it's normal magical glow had gone and burned out, for now it stood damaged because of the destruction and heartbreak of the war had caused, never to be the same again.

"I wanted to marry you." Draco's heart skipped a beat, and he bit his lip still looking at the castle, away from Harry.

Draco gulped, eyes shut, voice cracking as he tried to speak but no words found him, for he always seemed to be at a loss of words when his Harry caught him off guard.

"I did, I really did." Harry took a breath, breathing in the air, the freshness of the cool water mixed into the night air. Wind rippled throughout the water as another gust of wind ripped through the sky making Draco shiver.

"I wish, still, we could, only if it were sooner. We could of-"

"Harry." Draco gasped out the name, he hadn't noticed when he stopped breathing.

"Harry, please... just stop."

"I know we were too young anyway. We couldn't have and Voldemort and the war and-"

Draco choked back a sob.

"Draco?" Harry's voice had become incredibly soft, concern written all over his face.

Draco had to look at Harry, so he tore his head from the Castle and looked at green eyes that shook ever so slightly.

Draco removed his hand from the boy's waist and cupped his face. Harry closed his eyes for a only a brief moment then opened them again to look at Draco, who now held back tears.

"Hey what's wrong?" Harry asked, now grabbing Draco's hand from his face and holding it with his own.

"Nothing, nothing at all, can we not talk about what could have happened and enjoy this beautiful night, ok?"

Harry looked skeptical but nodded and squeezed Draco's hand one last time before he let go and leaned against Draco once more.