CHAPTER 1

Disclaimer: Harry Potter doesn't belong to me.

31st October 1981

Godric's Hollow

The wind howled with a vengeance as the skies burst forth in torrential downpour. Rain poured relentlessly over the silhouette of a cloaked figure. He stood in front of a two story cottage and gazed upon the brightly lit windows of the house.

He had not trusted his followers with this mission. It was imperative that he, Lord Voldemort, did this alone. The secret keeper of the Potter Family, who resided in the said cottage in front of him, had revealed to him the location of this cottage, unknown to Muggle and prying eyes courtesy of the Fidelius Charm.

The hood put half of his face in shadow, though blood-red eyes and a set of thin lips which was curved in a malicious smirk were visible. He enters the premises of the cottage and looks through the window, and saw a family of four – a bespectacled man, his redheaded wife, and two 1 year old kids. He grins showing crooked teeth and blasts down the door.

James and Lily Potter rush out of the room and to their horror see the now hoodless man who went by the name of Lord Voldemort. James shouts at Lily to take the kids and rush upstairs.

"Stay safe James!" Lily cried and ran upstairs, the kids in her arms. She reaches the nursery upstairs and quickly closes the door and barred it with a table and a chair, for she had left her wand downstairs.

Downstairs Voldemort held James at 'wand-point' for James had left his wand in the room as well. He stuns the man and walks leisurely upstairs. He laughs at the laughable effort at barring a door by the woman.

Bombardo! And lazily flicks his wand at the door which is blasted to smithereens and loud scream of terror comes from walks in and sees Lily standing with her hands splayed as to protect her kids from harm.

"Please don't harm them!Kill me instead!" Lily cried in desperation. Funnily while the infant named David was busy crying, his older brother, Harry was the name, peeked inquisitively from under his mother's arms.

"Stand aside Lily Potter", Voldemort drawled, "you maybe a Mudblood, but you're still the matriarch of the Ancient and Noble house of Potter. I just want your kids for one of them is prophesied to kill me and I for one like to live, thank you very much!" adding the last part in an uncharacteristic childish tone.

"NOO! Please! Kill me instead!" she kept on pleading. "Kil-" Voldemort stunned her.

"Stupid mudblood" he muttered and moved on to the twin cradle in which the boys were kept.

Harry was still on his knees staring wide eyed at the nose-less stranger. Voldemort gave it what was supposed to be evil smile, but the naive child just burst out into laughter at the perceived funny face made by the stranger. Voldemort glared at him. David who had briefly stopped crying to see this exchange promptly started to bawl again. The Dark Lord gave David an angry look.

"Stupid kids! DIE! Avada Kedavra! And the spell of doom rebounded off a standing Harry who had his palm stretched out and and backfired on Voldemort's face. Harry collapsed unconscious and unmindful of a curious bolt shaped cut on his forehead. The resulting explosion had plaster fall down and the ceiling cave in, thankfully not where the children were. A stray stone falling from above glanced off David's temple, making a coincidental 'V' shaped and he started crying even more loudly. As for Voldemort, only a wand and a heap of clothes were left.

Albus Dumbledore was sleeping. A well deserved nap for the 'Leader of the Light' during these times of war. But one of the devices on his table took that exact moment to screech like a banshee. Dumbledore jumped up and held up his wand expecting an attack only to realize later there wasn't one. He glanced at the device in question and comprehension dawned on him. The Fidelius around Potter Cottage was compromised. He Floo-ed there immediately, worry creasing his brow.