Chapter 3: A Warm Welcome (Not)

Percy POV:

The car ride home was, well, awkward. My newfound aunt introduced herself as Natasha Romanoff, and my uncle as Steve Rogers. When she said this, she glanced back through the rear-view mirror to see my reaction. Honestly, I wasn't paying much attention to her. A super soldier, please! That serum was based on us demigods. It wasn't that amazing.

All I could think about was Annabeth. She had calmed me down when I found Gaia's note. She was my anchor, and without her, I was afraid that I was gonna crack in front of my 'new family'. I twirled Riptide between my fingers, gazing out of the window until we reached a huge tower.

"So, welcome to your new home kid!" Steve said

"Not a kid, and why is it so big? It could almost fit Uncle Z's ego!" I exclaimed, then rolled my eyes when thunder boomed from the sky.

"Uncle Z?" Natasha asked, her expression suddenly blank. "Another uncle? Have we met?"

"Not on my mom's side and no, I will not tell you about him or my other relatives, Auntie Spy Lady."

Natasha's lips twitched at the end of my sentence, then got out of the car and ushered me inside.

Natasha POV:

That kid was a caution. He had shut me down and sassed me in one sentence. Not many people can do that. Also, how did he know that I was a spy? Was I that obvious?

"So, Perseus-"

"It's Percy. Only people who hate me call me Perseus."

"Okay, nephew. Since we are so very close, and I am your favourite aunt, how did you know that I was a spy?" I asked, sarcasm dripping through some of my words.

He grinned at me, then his eyes widened and he frowned. It was as if he was having a conversation with someone inside his head, and he wasn't faring well in it . 

"Well, Dearest Auntie, I have to say something about that statement. One, I have quite a few other aunts who won't take it very, uh, well if I called you my favourite. And to answer your question, your face suddenly went super blank. Like you had been mind-wiped or something! Boom, Percy Jackson solving the case!"

I rolled my eyes at him, then we stepped inside the tower.

After speaking to Janice, the receptionist, we stepped inside the elevator. Percy strangely asked to take the stairs, and then ran off. I looked at Steve, confused and amused. He smiled at me and said, "He definitely is your nephew, the sarcasm, the humor, the terrifying glare that could-"

He stopped and looked at me. "What was that, Rogers?"

"N-nothing! Nothing. You look amazing today, did you know?" he rambled. I smirked at his reaction. Best friends, now fiancés, and he was still scared of me. Then, we reached the Avengers floor, and saw my team on the ground unconscious, with Percy stood over them looking abashed.

Percy POV:

After Natasha showed me where the stairs were, I took off. Elevators reminded me of 'The Pit' and I seriously didn't want a flash back right now. I could barely contain my grief as it is, let alone recall the odious landscape that lay down below the ground. My vision started to go red at the edges, but I pushed it away. Stupid Percy, forget that place! 

When I arrived at the top of the tower, a group of what looked like cosplayers turned and gaped at me. Suddenly, the had all drawn weapons and attacked me. I mean, seriously?! Not even an introduction before the fighting began!

This arrow dude shot a tranquillizer at me, but I caught it and hit him with it. Metal man shot beams of light at me and I used my powers to shut down the suit. Scientist ran at me, but a blow to the head made him pass out. Hammer Dude threw his hammer at me, but it missed and I knocked him round the head, knocking him out instantly. A blue blur shot past me, punching me in the gut and sending me reeling, but once I'd recovered, I managed to block it and one quick jab with the hilt of Riptide knocked out a white haired teen around my age dressed in what looked like blue sports gear. Then, the hammer came back like a boomerang and knocked the Witch Girl and Spidey-kid to the ground. I gazed around in surprise, then whispered an apology to the witch girl. My time with Annabeth and Thalia taught me to always be polite to a lady.

At that exact moment, my aunt and uncle stepped out of the elevator. Natasha's eyebrows lifted in surprise as she gazed over the scene, and Steve seemed to go into shock.

"Um, hey?" I said meekly as they walked over to me.

"Percy, I-" Steve murmured.

"How did you-" Natasha asked

"Well, they all came at me with weapons, so I defended myself. It wasn't my fault, they all tried to kill me!" I defended myself, then moved away as the people began to wake up.

Metal Man stood up and gazed warily at my aunt, then at me. "Red, who is that and why is he here?"

Natasha sighed, then went round slapping the other adults until they were all up. Once they spotted me, they got into fighting stances.

"Hey, hey! I come in peace and all that!" I said, then turned to Natasha. "Do they always try to kill their new tower-mates?"

"WHAT?!" everyone exclaimed.

"Okay, um, I'm gonna go ahead and introduce myself, since I'm sure you'd love to know who you tried to kill. My name is Perseus Jackson, but you call me Percy-"

Then, Hammer Dude squealed. Yes, squealed. The others looked about as surprised as I was. 

Metal Man said, "Thor? Why did you-"

"OH MY GODS OH MY GODS AAAAH! IS IT REALLY YOU? I'VE HEARD STORIES ABOUT YOU! PERCABETH IS MY OTP! CAN YOU SIGN MY HAMMER?" The dude said, grinning and bounding over to me. "I'M THOR, NORSE GOD OF THUNDER! THIS IS WHERE I LIVE!"

"U-um, cool!" I stuttered, trying to process what had just happened. "First of all,  can I finish introducing myself, then you guys can?"

"Of course, Perseus!"

"Right, well, my name is Percy Jackson, I'm 16 (17 on 18th August), and Natasha here is my aunt. You guys next!"

They all stared at Natasha, and she nodded in confirmation.

Metal Man introduced himself as Tony Stark, then gazed expectantly at me as though I should know him. I simply shrugged. "You don't know me? Tony Stark? Iron Man? Billionaire, playboy, genius, philanthropist?" 

I rolled my eyes: someone has a huge ego.

The archer was Clint Barton or Hawkeye, Hammer Dude was (obviously) Thor, the scientist was Bruce Banner or Hulk (I don't even know why they all have two names, but I rolled with it), Spidey-kid was Peter Parker or Spiderman, Witch Girl was Wanda Maximoff or Scarlet Witch and the blue bur was her twin Pietro. I noticed their accents: almost Russian, Slovakian maybe? Then, Natasha introduced herself as Black Widow and Steve as Captain America. So, my new home was filled with superheroes. This is gonna be an interesting stay....

A/N

Oh my gods, 1152 words! What do you think? If anyone has any ideas, feel free to comment. Should Percy get trained by them, or should they find out his strength some other way?

From Cabin 6,

Orla 🦉