Chapter 3

Training was harsh. My mind kept racing over the possibility of Jovi's death and my so-called "parents". I was slouched down against a metal beam, guzzling water, panting. My calloused hands hurting from gripping a spear for so long. I had already picked out my weapon of choice, but didn't want to draw attention to myself. 

After training I had some dry oatmeal and retired to my room. I hadn't seen Jovi for awhile. I silently hoped she was okay. As expected, Pierce was in my room, talking to Jasper? I closed the door and stood by the door. 

"Did I interrupt something?" Their faces were flooded with concern, and they looked to me. "We want to help you," I was deeply confused. "With what?" "You aren't safe here," Jasper stepped towards me, but I backed up. "Well yeah, I'm being sent into w-" "No, you need to run-" A gunshot is heard and I jump, my calming mood disappearing. "What was that?!" The door opens and Kinny is dragged away, same with Jasper. I'm left alone with the guard that was talking to Jasper. Their screams and pleads echo in my head.

"Would you look at that! Heh, didn't think I'd see you again," I growl, narrowing my eyes. "What do you want?" They take out their sword, running the blade along my neck. I lean my head up, trying not to get cut. "You know perfectly well what I want," Another guard walks in and grabs Jasper's friends arm, pulling him back before pulling me out of the room. "I- Woah! What are you- what are you doing?!" No response. 

Soon an alarm blares through the speakers, and an announcement is heard. "ALL UNITS, PLEASE DELIVER THE ENLISTED SOLDIERS ONTO THE BATTLEFIELD AS SOON AS YOU CAN" I started to panic. "W-wait! wait! No! This isn't fair!" "Life isn't fair, kid," He tosses me into a hovercraft. I look around, everyone confused and terrified. Jovi. She was crying in the seat farthest from me. I get up to go to her, but something pushes me back into my seat.

"Jovi..." I murmur, hoping she'll hear me. She does, her face lighting up. "Emerald! What's going on?" She wipes her tears. "I don't know, but the second we land in that field, run," She nods, pursing her lips. "TWO MINUTES UNTIL TOUCHDOWN" I inhale and take a shaky breath, trying to calm myself. I hear the engines slow, signaling our landing. I stand up slowly, tightening my belt and looking to the door, where sun shone through. 

There were bloody weapons laying on the battlefield and I noticed a pistol a few yards away. People were fighting, blood spilling everywhere. Jovi gagged, trying to remain calm. I ran out of the hovercraft, diving for the gun, grabbing it after scratching my elbow. The others were slowly walking out, others running, a few already dead. I soon sit up and shoot a few people, missing a knife flying in front of my face by a few inches. I shoot in the direction it came from.

I soon hear a piercing scream ring through the air. I'd recognize it anywhere. Jovi! I spin around trying to find her. "Emerald!" She screams, a girl with a stern look on her face pinning her to the ground, a knife to her neck. "Emerald hel-" She was cut off by the knife being pressed against her skin further. 

The girl looks to me. "You make one wrong move and she's dead," I widen my eyes. Jovi is crying. "Emerald, please!" "Don't worry, Jovi," I aim my pistol but the girl motions to the knife. "Jovi..." I didn't know what to do. I take a single step forward, and without hesitation, the girl slits her neck. "EME-" My name is cut off. "JOVI!!!!!!!!" I cry out, crying and screaming. "Jovi!" The girl sprints away, leaving me surrounded by dead bodies and fight scenes. 

I run over to her, kneeling beside her. "Jovi... no... please-" I sob, not wanting to move on. I knew I had to, though. Whoever killed her will pay. They'll rue the day they ever touched my sister. I will have my revenge, and nothing will stop me until I get it. I aim my pistol at the sky and pull the trigger. "They'll pay, Jovi. Don't worry."

THANK YOU FOR READING!!! I HOPE YOU LIKED IT!! It seems a little rushed at the beginning, but that probably took me the longest to write. Thank you all so much for 500 reads on the first story, love you guys! Have a good day/night!