chapter one

ODETTE COULDN'T help but admit that a sense of intimidation had begun to fester deep within her bones as she stood beside her claimed locker in the locker room, dressed in a pair of light blue scrubs, eyes falling upon the crowded room of others wearing the same clothing. The competition within the room alone was ever present, easily felt by just stepping in. It was made her heart pulse at the reminder that only a few of the brightest and those who showed an inflection for talent in their work would move forward, while those who did not would simply be left behind and forgotten.

Odette couldn't be one of those people. She wouldn't be forgotten.

The door opened and revealed a man, who's eyes were drawn to the clipboard in hand. "Martin, Robinson, Bond, Parkins."

As the four people called walked out of the room, Odette took notice of the dirty blonde who arrived late begin to speak as hurriedly rushed to adjust her shoe. "Only seven women out of twenty."

"Yeah. I hear one of them's a model. Seriously, like that's gonna attract respect."

"You're Cristina, right?"

Odette hummed in response, nodding to herself as she listened to the conversation. Just by studying the woman she could already gathered that she was driven and focused, something that would definitely earn her her way up to the top. A cold feeling danced up at her spine as a thought drew to her focus. "If I could get close enough to her, maybe some of her credence would rub off on her."

"Which resident are you assigned too? I got Bailey."

"The Nazi? Yeah, me too."

The Nazi. What a...uncharitable nickname to adorn, especially within a hospital where you where, as your job title reflected, were supposed to take care of everyone. But Odette wasn't completely turned off by the name, as she had quickly come to the conclusion that the fellow resident had simply earned it from their...rigid persona. "Did you say Nazi?" She turned to the two women.

Cristina raised her gaze to meet her's, almost surprised by the sudden question. "Yes. From what I've heard, they can be very jarring."

Sensing the need for introduction, especially given the fact that they shared a resident, Odette held out her hand. "Odette Alman, a fellow intern if you will."

The Asian woman hummed in response, giving a small handshake in return. "Cristina Yang."

Odette drifted her eyes towards the dirty blonde at the side, narrowing her eyes as she tried to piece why she looked familiar? "Meredith Grey," she spoke, shaking her hand as well. Oh, that's right, now Odette remembered her. It was kind of hard to forget considering she spent most of the mixer trying to hide the red splotch of accidentally poured wine from her blouse.

"Now I remember you, from the mixer. Nice to meet you."

The dirty blonde blushed slightly at the reminder. "Sorry, again, for that."

"Don't worry," Odette waved off. "the stain came out." It didn't, she had to toss the blouse out, but it wasn't as if it were a necessary story to share. Before she could say anymore, the lockers beside them rattled as a body chucked in to the side in a haste.

"I-I also have the Nazi." A man stuttered, looking at the group of women in alarm with a scarlet hint scattered across his cheeks. He bore an awkward smile. "At least we'll be tortured together, right? I'm George O'Malley." He respectfully shook each of their hands, his windswept hair curling around his forehead. He focused his gaze on Meredith. "Uh, we met at the mixer, you had a black dress with a slit up the side, strappy sandals-"

While Cristina and Meredith shared a look, Odette studied the man cautiously. It was obvious to tell that he was a nervous wreck but she still stood her guard when he drew near. A horrified look pulled on his face. "Now you think I'm gay."