National Biodiesel Day

I opened my eyes with a groan, massaging my temples. "Oww my head," I moaned. I screwed my eyes shut again, head aching too much as I tried to remember how much I had to drink last night. All of a sudden the fuzzy memory of me kissing a blond, specifically a blond woman as opposed to my blond fiancé, came crashing back. I bolted upright, heart pounding, and staggered to my feet. "Eric?! Babe you still home?" I called, stumbling for the stairs. There was no response as I tripped up the stairs, shoving open the door to my room. It was empty, the bed neatly made, but no sign of Eric.

"Dammit!" I hissed, turning and walking back downstairs, desperate to not fall over my own feet. "Eric, where are you? Babe cmon please talk to me! I'm sorry for last night, I-I didn't think, I didn't really even realize!" I cried, hoping he'd answer and accept my apology. I made my way into my kitchen, drawing to a halt. Hand shaking, I pulled the note off the fridge. 

Hi Tom--

Yeah not really willing to talk to you. Congrats on ruining our first full holiday together and the only holiday in March. I'll see you for the next holiday.

--Eric S.

"No no no no no," I murmured, reading the scribbled note over and over again, heart sinking as I saw the stains on the page from tear drops. "Dammit! Oh Tommy you idiot, you fucking idiot!" I groaned, sitting at my table and burying my head in my hands, trying not to cry myself. He said he didn't want to talk to me but I still sent him a text desperately apologizing anyway. After watching Eric leave me on read I went back to sitting at the table, fighting back tears with a lot more difficulty now.

"Come on Tommy, think! You accidentally broke up with him and he didn't give up on you, he still took you on dates and then eventually got back together with you! So just do the same thing!" I snapped to myself. I sat at the table, racking my brain which wasn't super easy since I still had a raging headache. "He said he'll see you at the next holiday, so what's the next holiday?" I asked aloud, before my eyes widened. "Oh!" I said, grabbing my phone and quickly googling a list of all the holidays in March. I frowned, looking at the calendar telling me it was National Biodiesel Day. 

"The hell can I do for that?" I muttered, before an idea hit me and I scrambled for my phone, dialing Eric's number. "Please pick up, please pick up, please pick up," I murmured, drumming my fingers anxiously on the table. There was a long pause before there was a click as Eric answered. "I don't want to hear an apology," he snapped. "I-I know but you said you'd see me for the next holiday, right?" I asked, hoping I could get him on the technicality. "Yeah. So I guess that's what, Easter?" "Actually today's a holiday, it-it's National Biodiesel Day, so you want to meet up and let me take you someplace to celebrate?" I asked, holding my breath.

There was another even longer pause before Eric let out an equally long sigh. "Dammit. You know what, unlike you I don't go back on my word. So sure, I'll meet up with you today, since it's the next holiday and that's what I said and I don't break promises and upset the people I love," he said, voice edged with anger. I closed my eyes, heart sinking. "I...I know. That's one of the things I really l--" "Don't start with me. Pick me up whenever," he snapped, hanging up. I let out a shaky breath, running a hand through my hair. "Oh-okay! So that wasn't terrible! I-I mean sure he hates you but he agreed to meet up with you! You can save this, you can still save this," I mumbled to myself, taking some Advil for my hangover and pulling on my shoes. 

I parked in front of Eric's house, taking a deep breath and ringing the doorbell. "Please don't change your mind," I whispered to myself. There was a pause before Eric yanked open the door, scowling at me. "Um...h-hey, Eric," I mumbled. "Hi Tom," he growled. "Did you uh...still want to do something for the holiday today?" I asked, feeling my face burning. "Oh, National Biodiesel Day? Yeah, it's my favorite holiday, I celebrate it every year. Why wouldn't I do that this year?" he said sarcastically. I winced, scratching my neck sheepishly. "Well you said the next holiday," I said softly. "I did say that. And I keep my word, unfortunately. So let's go," he said, shoving past me and walking to my car. 

He just sat silently in the passenger seat, seething as I drove us to the park in the middle of the city. "I'm not seeing any biodiesel," he spat, and I flinched. "Um j-just hold on, we're not there yet," I said, opening the door for him and offering him a hand. He just ignored it, keeping his arms crossed as he gave me an expectant look, arching an eyebrow. With a helpless shrug, I just motioned for him to follow me. "Oh please be here," I murmured to myself, before rounding the corner and feeling my heart soothe as I saw the guy running the french fry cart. I turned to Eric, giving him a nervous smile. 

"Um so vegetable oil can actually be recycled into biodiesel it turns out and well french fries are cooked in vegetable oil so...so here we are!" I said. There was a pause as he stared at me before shaking his head, mouth still pressed into a thin line, but I could see his eyes grow happier. I bought us each a serving of fries, handing one of them to his. "Thanks," he said briskly after a pause, eating one of the fries. I nodded, giving him another shaky smile which of course got no response from him. 

We didn't say anything as we walked through the park, eating the fries. He ate faster than I did and finished his pretty quickly, crinkling up the wrapper and throwing it in a trashcan. "Alright. Take me home now," he said. Nodding, I walked with him back to my car. The ride home was as silent as our short walk had been, with him still far too angry to say anything to me. As soon as I got to his house he unbuckled his seat belt and headed for his front door. 

"Eric, wait!" I called, chasing after him. "Wait, wait, I'm really s--" He held up a hand, cutting me off. "I said I don't want to hear an apology," he growled. "Um w-well tomorrow is another holiday and you promised that--" "Fine. I'll see you tomorrow. Goodbye," he said, storming inside and slamming the door shut in my face. I nodded, running a hand through my hair. "Okay. Okay, so I've got at least one more day. Okay! I can make this work," I said to myself, walking back to my car.

"I can still save this!"