Chapter Two

Light filtered through the trees, illuminating the park with a pinkish glow. Ken vaugely remembered his mom taking him here as a kid. They used to have the best fun, playing on the swings and carasoule. Apparently, Dally had liked coming to the park to smoke or with his friends. It was times like that when Ken could almost pretend they were a real family.

Once, when he'd seen how different Jayla and Sylvia had looked with makeup on, Ken had disatrously tried to apply makeup on himself so his mother wouldn't have to be reminded of that horrid man who created him.

He kicked pebbles around the place, hating every inch of it. His mother never came here anymore, hell she barely ever left the house at all!

"Ken, are you okay?" Dee-Dee asked, worried.

He shook his head, tears threatening to spill down his face.

"Ken?" she said, horrified as she wrapped her arms around him. "Shhhh, it's alright. You wanna tell me what's wrong?"

"I think she hates me." Ken whispered. "My mom. Jayla is Dallas's kid, and I'm just... I'm..."

"You're his kid too." Dee-Dee said.

Ken squeezed his eyes shut. His mom used to say that too. She would always refer to Dally as their father, not just Jayla's. But saying didn't change the fact that it wasn't true.

He was jolted out of his thoughts by the loud sound of a car. Both teens looked up to see a green corvair coming towards them.

Ken swore under his breath. "Socs."

He grabbed Dee-Dee's hand and ran towards the closest building, which just so happened to be Buck's. Ken kicked open the door and nearly threw up at the overwhelming smell of cigarettes and alcohol. As if he didn't smell enough of that at home.

"Ken?" a familiar voice asked.

He swivled around to see a pretty red haired girl with twinkling brown eyes and light pink lips.

"Mouse!" Dee-Dee called, running to hug her.

Mickaela Mathews was the only child of Two-Bit and Kathy. She was nicknamed Mickey, but her father started to call her Mouse after 'Mickey Mouse' and everyone just sort of picked up on it. She was Jackie's best friend, and the two were rarely seen apart. Which explains while the youngest daughter of Darry appeared not far behind.

"What's Mr. Good Boy Owens doing in a bar?" Jackie asked, crossing her arms over her chest, which highlighted the swooping neckline.

Dee-Dee frowned at the sight of her cousin. "I though Uncle Darry told you that you aren't allowed to come here?"

She waved it off. "Old Fashioned Curtis ain't got to power over me."

Ken thought that was a bit unnecassary. Darry was only looking out for her. But you just don't say things like that to Jaqueline Curtis. Of course, Dee-Dee had no such reservations.

"He's your father! Do you know how worried sick he probably is? He and Aunt Adele? Daisy and Lori?"

Jackie scowled. "You mind your own business Chickadee." she said using her hated name.

Dee-Dee clenched her fists, and Mouse looked uncomfortable and stared at her best friend with a little bit of longing.

"Come on now, Jack, don't be like that. Where's my fun-loving  family-loyal best friend?"

Jackie lit a cigarette and blew a ring of smoke. "Dead."

Dee-Dee looked like she could punch her when Buck came in, looking solemn.

"Mouse, your dad called. He said Adele Curtis was in the hospital."