Part ten // Having a talk with Kyoko

Byakuya's POV

I grab Makoto's plate out of his hands, as he has finished his breakfast. "I'll be back." I tell him and exit to put his plate away. After I leave the nurses office, I lean against the wall. What do I feel for him...?

I eventually regain my composure, making sure that I don't let my emotions show at all on my face. I go into the dining hall and put away Makoto's dish. When I am walking to the exit, I see Kyoko entering with two dishes of her own. Uggh...why is this plebeian here? I'm tired of seeing her face.

"Why are you here?" I grumble my thoughts at her.

"I'm putting away Hifumi and Hiro's dishes." She blatantly states, pushing past me. "You better not run away from me today Byakuya. If you don't come to talk to me I'll hunt you down." Kyoko walks away after saying that, leaving me seething. What is her problem?

I decide to just ignore the commoner and head on back to Makoto. I'm sure I'll be able to ignore everything once I'm around him.

Me and Makoto talk for a while. I mostly try and not to have small talk, so I try and keep things on important topics. Makoto sure is good at getting people to talk with him. I mean he even somehow spent some of his free time with me even before this incident. When that would happen, I would allow him to hang out with me, but now it just feels like a mutual meeting of friends....no acquaintances. Not friends. Never friends. At least I'm pretty sure he doesn't see me as a friend. I mean, I doubt he really likes me all too much with how I treat him. Why am I even worried about what he thinks of me?

I know my brain won't stop thinking about it until I ask him. "Makoto, what do you think about me?"

"Huh?" I must have taken him off guard, as my question came out of nowhere. "W-What do you mean by that?"

"Do you actually even want to talk to me right now? Or are you doing it just because your bored?"

"What? Of course I do. I like to think that... your my friend. Wouldn't you?"

Okay. So not not acquaintances. Friends... Wait why am I allowing this? Shouldn't I be yelling at him by now?

"Okay." Is what I say. No yell at him! What's wrong with me?

After a while the conversation topic goes back to normal, and I don't even notice when it's 1 o'clock.

"Byakuya." I hear from behind me. Of course the other commoner had to end my time with Makoto. I turn around.

Kyoko has a plate in her hand full of food, and hands it to Makoto. "I noticed you didn't get anything for Makoto's lunch when I was eating my own." I guess I did completely forget about lunch.

"Me and Byakuya are going to talk for a while." Kyoko turns to Makoto. "I don't think we'll be too long. If you want, I can get someone else to stay with you while we're gone."

"No, I'm alright Kyoko." The brunette smiles up at Kyoko, looking so genuine and pure. His smile is...

"Byakuya?" Kyoko firmly speaks my name and puts her hand on my shoulder.

"What?" I respond with an even firmer tone than hers.

"I said that we should go now."

"...Alright." I really don't want to do this. But I'm not a coward.

Me and Kyoko walk out of the room together. I allow myself one last look back at the small boy. He is now looking very intensely down at his food, like it's going to eat him and not the other way around. He seems to be deep in thought. Even so, his smile still remains on his face, unwavering, as he suddenly looks back up at me and gives me a little wave. ...adorable.