Chapter 5

Felix watched Chan leave the cafe and walk away. He saw him start to turn back so he hurriedly turned towards the table that he was sitting at and pretended to be working, but he couldn't keep the smile off of his face. He turned back towards Chan and saw him looking towards him so he smiled at him before waving slightly. He could see Chan hesitate a bit before waving back to him in tiny. If anything his smile widened at the sight of him waving so timidly. He always seemed so confident in school waving and smiling at everyone who passed. I guess looks can be deceiving, he thought to himself as he turned back to his laptop to write the essay that was waiting oh so patiently for him. After a little more working he looked at the time and saw that he needed to be home in fifteen minutes. He packed his stuff up a little rushed as he didn't want to make his parents mad at him for being late. He didn't forget to thank the worker that was cleaning up the cafe as he was heading out though. Felix then headed to the bus stop to wait for the next bus to take him closer to his house.

As he was waiting he thought about Chan a little bit. He had seemed so annoyed when he first sat down, ignoring everything he said and not making eye contact at all. At least until he mentioned seeing him at school. It was almost comical how fast Chan's head had snapped towards him. His eyes seemed full of fire at the moment, but if you looked closer you could see a little bit of fear and sadness behind them. He had always thought that he knew Chan, even though they had never talked. But I guess there's more to people than meets the eye, he thought. Then he laughed to himself as he realized how stupid he sounded. I mean, he thought, I'm basically describing myself except opposite. Just then the bus pulled up and he boarded. He smiled at the driver who smiled back automatically. Felix had been told that he had a contagious smile, but he had never really thought about it. He would have had to experience it to really know just how contagious it was.

When he reached his house he entered and yelled,

"Mom! I'm home!" he slipped off his shoes and hung his backpack on the hook before pulling his laptop and other homework assignments out of his bag. Then he went up to his room to change into more comfortable house clothes. He slipped on a pair of purple sweatpants that were so light that they were almost white and a white graphic tee with"pretty" written on it in cursive. Then he went down to see if dinner was almost ready.

"Mmm, smells good Mom!" he said wrapping his hands around his mom's body in a warm hug. She laughed,

"Thanks Felix! How was school today?" she asked him while draining the water from the pasta she was cooking.

"It was pretty good. My friends didn't really talk to me, but that's what normally happens!" Felix said this with a smile and a laugh, but his mother knew that he really wanted somebody to talk to. What he said next made her perk up a little,

"I made a new friend today though, at the cafe that I normally go to after school. His name is Chan and he has the same issues that I do with identity at, like, school and stuff. Aaand he texted me, hold on Mom I'll help set the table in a sec." Felix went into the living room and flopped on their couch opening his phone messages to read Chan's message,

Unknown number: Hey, it's Chan from the cafe.

And school I guess.

Me:hihihihi! tis me! felix!

Chan:D:Yeah, I know. I put your number in my phone for a reason.

Me: oh right i forgot that i gave you my number! lol! silly me!

normally i'm the one that gets the numbers and i obv don't txt like this

Chan:D:Oh right, you're hot.