Chapter 1 (Anthony)

A flag hung down from the crow's nest. It was green, with a white sea serpent biting its own neck embroidered on the smooth fabric. It twisted in the warm ocean wind, fluttering as the ship rose up and down with the waves. The ship was made of caramel brown wood with ghost white sails attached to thick ropes and ladders. Inside the captain's quarters, a man with short brown hair in a ponytail sat at his desk, observing a piece of jewelry.  

The golden necklace's pendant was engraved with a green "A". Its chain was feeble, thin, and worn out, yet the man held it with the utmost care, as if it were the most valuable treasure ever known to man. And it was the most valuable treasure. At least to this man.

"Captain Anthony, sir," the newest recruit, Eric, peeked his head through the hatch that connects to the captain's quarters. Eric had joined the crew a few weeks ago, but wouldn't go near him or his first mates, James and Dea, out of fright.

"It's Anthony. No need to call me sir," Anthony quickly opened up a small chest near the bed and tucked the necklace into a flap of fabric. Closing the box, he turned to the younger man.

"What can I do for you?" he asked, picking at his nail.

"James wants to see you on the deck," Eric avoided eye contact. Geez, Anthony knew he could be a little intimidating to newbie pirates, but this kid was shaking in his leather boots. The rumors that sometimes went around the small ship did Anthony no justice. 

"Sounds good. I'll head up there right now," he shrugged, "how are you liking the life of a pirate so far?"

"It's pretty cool!" Eric's face lit up.

"That's really good. You know what we do to crew mates who abandon ship," Anthony smirked, walking past Eric.

"We throw them overboard and let them die," Anthony smiled, and waved his hand at Eric.

Not looking back to see the kid's reaction, Anthony waltzed upstairs, taking his precious time. It was true, the Serpent's Revenge did not deal well with traitors. The steep stairs led up to a small hatch which goes to the main deck.

He slowly opened the hatch to see a buff, 190 centimeters (6 foot 3 inches), scowling man with a wooden leg.

"Hey James. What's up?" Anthony grinned. James glowered at him.

"You know we can't afford to have you messing around. It's been weeks with no sign of any other ships to rob. We're running out of food! Your crew needs you, they are beginning to panic." James jabbed his finger at him.

"I know, I know. I'll figure something out." Anthony replied, shaking his friend off.

"You need to figure something out soon! If we all die, then the Serpent's Revenge will float around unattended!" James fiddled with a rope in his hands. 

"Oh, well that's not good. I stole this ship myself!" Anthony replied sarcastically. He stole this ship years ago from a rich man who had left it unattended during his honeymoon. It was a field day for the pirates!

"Take this seriously, Anthony!" James ripped the rope into two pieces threateningly, but Anthony knew the "tough guy" facade was just an act. The man was scared out of his wits. His friend was right. They had been on the water for months, eating the food stocked up on the ships they attacked and robbed. But now that they haven't seen another living soul in the western Caribbean, his crew was beginning to get nervous. Starvation is the worst way to die. But like James, Anthony had a facade to keep up too.

Yawning in response towards James' angry huffing, Anthony jogged over to the officers quarters. He needed someone who was willing to listen.

"Hey Dea!" a woman with black curls turned towards him. Women pirates were quite rare, but she was stronger than most if not all of the men on board.

"Anthony. Why are you scaring little kids again?" she raised her eyebrow.

"Eric? He is 17. That's not young!"

"Pick on someone your own size!" she scolded. Anthony turned to the windows of the small room, filled with hammocks. Dea followed his gaze, and hesitated. The blue waves went in all directions, with fluffy white clouds in the distance, a change from the usual overcast skies. There was a hopeful scent to the air, as usually the weather wasn't this nice.

"It looks like we've been going in circles. We need a map. Forget that, we need a navigator!" Anthony raised his hand to stop her.

"I know. James was lecturing me. I don't need that from you too," he crossed his arms.

"Well, what you need is to be more serious. It's not fair to your crew, your people!" Dea furrowed her eyebrows. Anthony bit his lip, worried. If cool-headed, calm Dea was scared, he really did have to do something.

"What we need is to find another ship to rob..."