Chapter three part two

Seeing that it didn't provoke me as intended, he ends up putting it back in his pocket, only very slowly, making sure that I don't miss a thing.

> I think I got the message. No need to add to it...

Daryl > You never know, a little reminder doesn't hurt from time to time. All right. Except for the race in four days, I don't have anything else. I tried to sort something out, but nothing. And right now, I don't see many other options...

I nod and stare at him. Even if I think he might change his mind, I don't want to show him that I'm at his mercy. Jason's counting on me. I can't make any more mistakes. I've screwed up enough as it is. So I listen carefully to what he has to offer.

Daryl > I think there are ways to negotiate.

> Negotiate? Are you kidding me? Maccini will never.

Daryl > I'll talk to him. Maccini is a powerful man, but he's not stupid. All he wants is his dough.

> I hadn't noticed!

Daryl > If I do it right, I might be able to reason with him.

> If you say so, then I believe you. You'll no doubt succeed in convincing him to stop threatening my brother.

Daryl bursts out laughing, and I lose some of my poise. It seems I told the joke of the century.

> Did I miss an episode or something? What are you laughing at?

Daryl > You're naive if you think I can go very far reasoning with Maccini!

All right, okay. I set the bar too high. I didn't believe any of it at first, but nothing ventured nothing gained!

Daryl > I was thinking more about extending the deadline.

> Good idea. Assuming he accepts, how long do you plan to propose?

Daryl > Well, first I should check with him...

Daryl crosses the living room before reaching the stairs. I follow in his footsteps, and we go upstairs.

Once upstairs, he goes up to a closed door, which he unlocks before going in. I decide to stay in the hallway, but peek in anyway.

I stand in the doorway and notice a big office room, soberly furnished with a large shelf and impeccably tidy furniture. This is a far cry from the usual mess that reigns in his brother's workspace! Unlike Matt, Daryl seems to be quite organized.

> Well... you should give your brother some tidying up lessons. His office is Baghdad compared to yours!

Daryl > You know, Matt lives his life and I live mine.

Daryl looks at me, then opens a drawer to take out a notebook.

Daryl > I need arguments to convince Maccini to give us a little more time.

> Good luck with that! Personally, I don't see any reason for him to be more flexible.

Daryl > Don't worry, I got it covered.

He comes back up to me and shakes my hand briefly, which surprises me.

Daryl > Trust me, okay? I'm going to do everything I can to help your brother. Can I count on you?

I draw from his eyes the strength to promise not to give up on him again. I want to have confidence, I have to.

> You can count on me, don't worry.