What if I don't get to say goodbye

Louis 22
Liam 20
Niall 19
Harry 16

- - -

"Hey Louis." Anne gave him a smile once the man opened the door. "I'm really sorry for the short notice, I know you were hoping to wind down after the tour and all." 

"Anne, it's fine. I promise you." He gave the woman a sympathetic smile. Robin had been sick for quite a while now, and recently he took a turn for the worst, so he had been admitted into a hospital in London. Gemma was going to stay with Anne, but they thought it wouldn't be quite fitting for young Harry. 

"Hey Harry." Louis looked at the boy that was trying to hide his face in his mother's arm, not daring to look up. 

"Wanna-a stay with mumma-a-a." The boy wailed, not thinking it was fair that only two days ago they returned from tour and now Harry needed a babysitter. 

"Bugaboo, mumma needs to go now, but I promise to come get you tomorrow morning for a visit. I'm sure daddy can't wait to see you." Anne tried to console the boy but of course it wasn't working. "Here's his bag, it should have everything, but if you need anything don't hesitate to call." The woman turned to Louis who gave a curt nod. 

"And you call me, anytime you need to, promise me Anne." It was Anne's turn to nod, wiping a stray tear that had managed to slip. "Come here babe." Louis opened his arms up for Harry, and Anne placed her hand on her boy's back to nudge him into Louis' embrace. 

"I'll see you tomorrow bubba. Mumma loves you very much." She hugged both boys, giving Harry a few extra kisses before she had to get going. 

"Oh, I know, I know baby." Louis cooed, barely managing to hoist the boy onto his hip before closing the front door. "Let's go have a cuddle, huh." He lightly patted the boy's bottom, letting the boy have his moment to cry. 

"Wan' him to be my daddy-y foreve-er." Harry hiccupped, wiping his tears and snot onto Louis' shoulder, making the older cringe but he didn't say anything. 

"And he will be baby. No matter what happens, I promise you." Louis brushed the boy's curls away from his sweaty foreheat. He didn't really know the right words to say, because the boy was no doubt about to lose his stepfather, the only real father figure in the boy's life, and no words could make him feel better. 

"Think we should get you cleaned up, bubba. Maybe we could call Liam and Niall to see if they're busy and if they want to order food with us. Would you like that?" 

"Yeah." Harry nodded, starting to trace Louis' tattoos, something he did every time he was starting to calm down. Louis stood up with the boy still on his hip and carried him to the downstairs bathroom where he grabbed a washcloth to start and clean the boy's face free of snot and tears. 

"Can you go sit on the potty while I quickly go grab your stuff?" Harry nodded and Louis helped him down from the counter and undid his button on his jeans before going to grab the boy's bag that he left in the living room. 

"Done any tinkles?" Louis asked once he returned, and Harry gave a sad nod. 

"Little bit." His cheeks tinted pink as he looked down at his pull-up that was soaking. "Didn't know." He sadly admitted.   

"Hey it's fine bubba. Only an accident, remember." Louis assured and Harry nodded again. He had been doing so much better as they neared the end of their tour, only really relying on his pull-ups at night, but these times were quite stressful for the boy, so Louis completely understood. He slipped the boy's jeans off and threw the used pull-up into the bin before grabbing the wipes from the boy's bag.