1

a thirteen years old annabeth chase watched from afar as one of her best friends, sarah fonrey, kissed her half-brother, malcolm pace, on the cheek.

she should have felt happy for sarah. she should have been teasing a blushing malcolm right now. she should have cheered. after all, sarah had always had a crush on malcolm, and malcolm liked her back.

but all she did was feel heartache.

all she felt was pain.

sarah approached her with a bashful smile, her cheeks tinted pink from what she had one earlier. annabeth thought it made the daughter of hermes look adorable, with her fiery red hair and warm honey eyes that she always got lost in. the light freckles across the bridge of her nose formed constellations on her pale skin of ivory.

"annie? annie!"

she snapped out of her thoughts and smiled at the girl in front of her.

she forced a smile.

"i always knew you'd make the first move."

her heart shattered like fragile glass the moment sarah's face took on a dreamy expression.

why did it hurt so much?

annabeth always listened to sarah fonrey.

the redhead's voice was sweet like honey, the shade of her warm eyes. it could always calm then blonde down. she would always listen to her.

but what they were currently talking about somehow made the girl's voice seem more like a sharp blade, piercing into annabeth's skin. moving, twisting, breaking her. but she kept her smile.

for her.

"do you think he blushed because he likes me back or because he was embarrassed! fuck, annie! what if i messed up!?" the usually bright and bubbly girl paced in the arena, worried.

you could never mess up, thought annabeth fondly, but she dare not say it out loud. no, the secret stays with her.

"relax, sarah." she said instead. "i'm sure he just doesn't handle getting kissed by pretty girls really well. doesn't happen often." she smirked.

"you think i'm pretty?" oh fuck.

"you're my best friend!" but i want to be more "of course i think you're pretty. in fact, you're prettier than all the aphrodite kids combined!" you're making it more obvious, you idiot "i bet everyone has had a crush on you at least once."

sarah laughed, obviously doubting it. "i'm not that pretty." yeah. you're more. "plus, i don't think percy would like to hear you say that." she added, wiggling her eyebrows suggestively.

right, annabeth thought. percy.

"i'll be right back, annie." the daughter of hermes said, "i need to get something from my cabin. love you!"

though it was meant platonically, annabeth's heart couldn't help but skip a beat.

"love you more!" more than you know.

annabeth looked down on the pen and paper on her desk.

she was dyslexic, so it might take a while, but she'd be patient. she needed to spill her thoughts somewhere. somewhere only she knew of.

she picked up the pen, and slowly started writing.

my most beloved,