epilogue

A child, no older than the age of five, stumbled though the tall, uncut grass that grew all the way to the bottom of his chin.

His face was etched with a giddy smile, chocolate smudged across his cheeks. Suddenly, he fell forward and his round spectacles slipped off his face with a loud CRACK!

"Oh no.." The boy picked up his glasses and inspected them carefully, turning it in his hand. He brought it over to his grandfather who was seated by an oak tree on top of the hill. The boy plopped down besides him and held out his glasses.

"Be careful of the glass, it'll cut those tiny fingers of yours." The man took the broken glass and slipped it into his front pocket. He was getting quite old and weak, so he didn't have enough energy to lecture his grandson.

"What's in your hand, Grandpa?" The boy peered down at the photograph he held. He quickly recognized the two people in the photograph and a grin appeared on his face. "Hey, it's auntie Y/n and Uncle Tom!"

"Yes it is, Harry."

Harry frowned. "Grandpa, you always talk about them but how come I've never met them before?"

Fleamont smiled, the skin around his eyes crinkling.

"They are...somewhere far, far away."

"Oh...what do you think they're doing right now?"

"Probably arguing about something. Either that or..."

"Or what, Grandpa?"

He chuckled. "Adult things."

Harry stared at the image a bit longer. He'd seen it many times before: a beautiful woman standing with her back straight and head poised next to a tall, brooding man with a serious look on his face. Their shoulders were slightly touching each other, and even the child could sense the slight hesitation in their positioning.

"We'll, did you tell them about me?

"I'm sure they're watching over you right now, Harry."

"Grandpa..." he scrunched his face, "...you didn't tell me they live in the sky!"

Fleamont let out a loud laugh and patted the child's head, rustling his messy brown locks. He looked down at the photograph of Tom and Y/n at some dinner long ago and smiled.

Then he looked up at the cottage in the distance, a field of yellow poppies Fleamont had planted himself standing between him and his home.

Y/n had always dreamed of a life like this, that was something she would tell Fleamont many times at Hogwarts before the war.

If she was watching him now, he knew she'd be smiling. Smiling at the peace she had brought to the wizarding world, smiling at the lives she had changed - Fleamont look back at Harry- and created.

"Thank you." He spoke to the picture of Y/n under his breath. His eyes wandered to Tom, a man he once resented bitterly for stealing the lives of those he loved from him. But those feelings were long gone with the rest of Fleamont's Hogwarts memories, something he would leave behind in the past and in this photograph forever.

He stared at the image one last time before handing it to his grandson.

"Keep it, Harry. Keep it safe and protect it forever. I won't always be here to keep it safe, so now I'm passing it down to you."

He smiled at Harry and Harry smiled right back gratefully. Then, he turned his head and watched the sun set on yet another day.

THE END.

a/n: AHHH sorry for the super mediocre and depressing ending but THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH FOR READING. thank you to the people who had stuck around for this LONG ASS STORY and for supporting me this entire time even during my three month hiatus!

ending this story is super bittersweet. i would say it was the most fun I've had in a while, and i'm so glad you guys were able to join me on this journey. i know the ending probably wasn't what most of you guys wanted or expected, and I'm so so sorry for kinda breaking your hearts :')

once again, thank you guys. seriously, i love every single one of you.

singing off,

snewman600

P.S:

keep an eye out for two new books i will be publishing in the near future:

"Dusk Till Dawn"
Another Tom Riddle x Reader that is slightly happier/lighthearted with a unique and creative plot! (spoiler: it's a royalty AU and has lots of fluff ;))

"Moon Song"
For all my Shadow and Bone readers out there this is a Nikolai x Female OC enemies to lovers story! Including many mythical creatures, characters from the original series, and smut ;)

I will release another reminding to check these stories out when they are both released here, so keep an eye out! ❤️