Chapter 46

"..."

Kyle might have intended to warn me with his statement, but in truth, it brought forth only reassurance. Doman's sweetness was a lie. He was not a kind person.

'I don't need fake affection.'

Unfortunately, the real Riddel Spencer would have no reason to doubt Doman. She would never possess my suspicion, so I couldn't reveal to Kyle how I honestly felt. I had no choice but to allow another wave of silence to descend over us, suspended like a thin, fragile thread mere moments from snapping. When Kyle began to whisper once more, the thread gave at last, unraveling beneath the low, gentle rumble of his voice.

"From now on, I would advise you not to mention his name in my presence."

How badly does Doman annoy him that I can't even say his name? However, just like his last admission, this was a good thing for me.

I didn't like talking about him either, but I can't tell that to Kyle because it would be incredibly out of character for Riddel Spencer. Oh, but there was one last thing... Another grave secret I mustn't tell.

'Kyle is a liar.'

The tenderness of Kyle's touch, gently petting my hair, conveyed a sweetness that contradicted the austere nature of his earlier claim.

Yet again, I couldn't acknowledge this aloud. The original Riddel Spencer wouldn't have cared enough about Kyle to notice details like these, occupied as she was by Doman Woodhill. Her mind only ever swam with thoughts of him and I had to emulate that. Silence was the only answer she would've had and the only answer I could offer Kyle, because that was just who Riddel was. That was who I had become.

***

Two days have since passed following the 'Doman' incident. At the time, Kyle's tumultuous disposition, affected by the dragon's curse, persisted for quite a while. Fortunately, he didn't harm me, so I didn't dig too deep into it. After all, his curse was probably driving him into bouts of caprice and inconstancy, making it hard to read his emotions.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried about anything, though. I had one more concern to occupy myself with and it was pretty important.

The rose. Now that the incident on the fifth floor has died down to some extent, I only need to dispel Kyle's magic.

I knew how to deal with Kyle's magic. It was simple: I could ask a black magic sorcerer to help me. But, of course, simplicity did not imply ease. There was a problem with that method.

It'd be impossible for me to find a black magic sorcerer because I needed to be alone to do it.

If I wanted to hire a black magic sorcerer, I would have to go outside, but if I were to go outside, I'd need a guard. I couldn't just recklessly allow anyone to be my guard, either. It was customary for the Archduchess to have three or more guards accompany her, but that would be far too many for me.

The more guards I have, the harder it will be for me to move.

Therefore, my qualifications for an ideal guard hinged heavily on them being someone who would overlook my actions and who could protect me solely with their own power. Someone strong enough to stop Kyle even for a moment, just in case I got caught like I did once before.

I knew only one person in the novel could meet those demands.

It was Sejan, the leader of the knights.

This troubled me. Out of all the characters, why did it have to be Sejan? It was like plopping a fish in front of a cat.

But I can't ignore the fact that Sejan's my only option right now.