Chapter 11: Time with Selena

Luke and Chris were practicing their shooting at a training room with their standard blasters that they used when unmorphed. Both of them had been doing well when suddenly the training program ended... they had managed to defeat all of the Eltarei projections they were fighting.

"Not bad, Luke." Chris complimented sincerely.

"You did good too." Luke replied with a smile on his face. Suddenly Luke's civilian phone buzzed. Luke grabbed it and checked his phone. It was Mary, sending him a text about a promise he had previously made to see her at the farmer's market today.

"Work at the homeless shelter calls?" Chris asked. Luke smiled.

"In a way, yeah. Since Cruger gave us the day off unless there is an attack on Earth, I guess today is the day I can handle these things without risking running late for training." Luke replied. Chris nodded as Luke left the training room and headed to his room for a change of clothes and before he would hit the showers.

Later:
Luke wasn't exactly sure what he wanted to wear so he was just wearing his standard SPD unmorphed uniform. He drove to the farmer's market on a standard civilian motorcycle Cruger got for him, as Cruger feared a small child would play with a Delta Patrol Cycle and accidentally fire off one of the weapons. Luke arrived and he put his motorcycle in a designated area before walking towards the fruit and vegetable section he once frequented, seeing Mary there. She gave him a very radiant smile as she saw him walking over to her.

"Hey. It's been a bit since we last talked at my place. How have you been dealing with things? Have you remembered anything about your old partner?" Mary asked. Luke sighed.

"Things have been hectic... and no, I haven't remembered anything at all. Been pretty busy so I haven't gotten a chance to look for clues either. Not a lot of time when Earth keeps getting attacked by hostile aliens that scare even the aliens who came here to live in peace." Luke explained. Mary sighed. She wished she could be there to lighten the load from the Rangers mind. Mary looked concerned about something as she looked up at the sky... but seeing Luke now... she realized that whatever she had in mind, she now wanted to handle herself.

"Hey Luke, would you maybe want to... I..." Mary said but couldn't finish. Luke looked at her curiously.

"Would I maybe want to what?" Luke asked. Mary shook her head.

"Nothing.... I just... I forgot what I wanted to ask you." Mary lied awkwardly, but the ever oblivious Luke actually bought this explanation. Luke smiled at her.

"Just make sure you tell me if and when you ever remember." Luke said. Mary nodded before giving Luke a backpack filled with vegetables.

"You should get these delivered to Mr. Landors." Mary said with a smile. Luke smiled back at her.

"Thanks again, Mary. You're amazing." Luke replied as he put on the backpack. Then, he walked to his motorcycle and drove off to Jack's homeless shelter.

"Are you ever going to tell that boy how you feel about him?" Mary's aunt asked her teasingly as she had watched the whole 'Mary not being able to ask Luke out' part of the conversation unfold. Mary just blushed and sighed.

A bit later:
Luke arrived at the homeless shelter and there he saw Selena teaching some kids how to properly grow flowers in the back yard area of the shelter.
"You spend a lot of time here now?" Luke asked as he opened the fence door to the backyard area. Selena turned and gave Luke a smile just as radiant as the one Mary had given him earlier. Selena ran toward Luke and hugged him, much to his surprise. The girls and women who were there in the back giggled at seeing Luke flustered.