Another Assassination Attempt

Earlier, before the letter had been spread.

"Oh..." Jaime entered the small council chamber only to see one pile of Pycelle's ashes to one side and pieces of Petyr Baelish to the other. "You've already started to reform the court, it seems."

"One of the servants will deal with the mess... more importantly, since you're here, I want you to deliver this letter to Varys who should be by the ravens."

Aerion grabbed the letter and raised it upwards.

"It must be quite important for you to entrust it to me." Jaime walked up to Aerion's chair and received the letter. "May I ask what it entails?"

"An ultimatum to the Realm." Aerion smiled. "It should pressure the lords of the Realm to declare whom they serve, separating loyalists from the sea of rebels as a result."

"And if my father is one of the lords who side with you?"

That thought made Aerion chuckle. "Should I turn a blind eye and spare him? Why... would I?"

"What has he done to deserve that honour?"

"He is the wisest lord in all of the Seven Kingdoms, Your Grace." Jaime bent the knee, resulting in Aerion rolling his eyes to the side. "With my father, Lord Tywin, by your side, governing the Seven Kingdoms will be an easier task. Think about it... without him, who is to rule the westerlands?"

"If you weren't so stubborn about being a Kingsguard, I'd consider you for that role." Aerion answered. "It is true that Lord Tywin is a most capable lord. He even made my rather incapable grandfather appear to be a good king until he was inevitably driven back to Casterly Rock."

"But... what has he done for me?" Aerion clenched his left fist. "I'm sure you already know the answer to that."

"However... I never mentioned letting his intellect go to waste." He stood up from his chair and looked down on Jaime. "His fate is to be an undead servant."

"Then spare his free will, at the very least..."

"And why would I do that?" Aerion frowned.

"Because... I ask this of you, Aerion. I've been by your side since you could walk, acting as both a sword and shield against all who would attempt to threaten you... and never did I ask for anything. Not even once..."

'And this will be the one thing that you ask for... of all things, why this?'

Aerion sighed.

"I cannot accept. Ask for something else if you wish." Aerion walked past Jaime, who grabbed his arm just as he was getting out of arm's length.

'...'

"You..." Aerion's frown grew deeper.

"I beg of you... spare my father from that cruel fate."

"No... and that will be the end of the matter." Aerion moved forward but Jaime's grip grew stronger which led to him turning around.

"Why are you so bloody stubborn?"

"Let my father atone for his deeds... as himself... not as a mindless servant. I only ask of this... "

"... Let go," Aerion commanded with a colder tone. His violet eyes flashed with the shade of wrath that so many fallen men had witnessed.

"Do not push me."

Jaime lowered his head and let go, ending the struggle.

"Now are you going to complete your duty or must I choose someone else for this task?"