The Deal

Henry Camleman viewed the 5,000 Cowrie cheque in disbelief, turning it in his hand with the incredulity of a small child.

"How did you manage to get that?" he asked finally.

"Just applied a few things I learned from your book," said Maya, "I observed, deducted and I persevered."

Henry Camleman looked doubtfully at her, "but you were not officially allotted to the case so the money is all yours."

"No I think not, I would gladly accept a detective's cut though, the incentive for solving a case. 10% is it not."

"But you are not a detective."

"I was under the impression that after this you would make me one with immediate effect."

Henry Camleman scratched his chin. A woman detective? That was absurd. And how on earth did she solve the case?

"Listen," he said finally with a hint of helplessness in his voice, "I cannot do that. This job is not for a woman."

"I like to think I am not any ordinary woman," said Maya, "I solved the case which none of your detectives could. Don't you think I deserve to be one?"

Camleman got off his seat and paced around his cabin. He thought about the ramifications of having her as a detective. The other men in the agency would obviously resent her presence which would be detrimental to the harmony at work. But on the other hand, womanly charms were a great asset in detective work as well. She could be a prized resource to pry out valuable information from men of lousy characters (there was no shortage of such men occupying influential positions). But did she have any womanly charms at all?

Camleman looked at her. She was dressed in a dirty black dress worn out at the bottom and covered in dirt, she smelled like she had forded through a gutter on her way here and her hair, held in a bun upon her head, had twigs and grit hanging out. No, he couldn't go so far to say that she had what it took to be a charming woman.

"Listen," he said again, "I am impressed that you have solved the case and I would like to hear more on how you did it but it would not be possible to officially make you a detective. That would lead to strife and I cannot afford that. What I can do, though, is to make you one unofficially. You would work on the case as all others in the agency but secretly and on your own. If you solve a case you would get a cut but you would not receive the monthly payment of a detective. Further, you would also continue to do your current administrative work."

Maya grinned overjoyed. The proposition was the best she could have hoped for.

"Thank you Mr. Camleman," she said

Camleman put the cheque in his drawer and opened his wallet. "Here are your 500 Cowries for this case. Now off you pop and do your work, I met the stationary supplier today, he is still grumbling that he did not receive the payment for the last month."

"Oh yes, Sir," said Maya, "I have just prepared the draft."

Camleman glared at her. Maya turned to leave.

"Wait," he called after her, "don't let anyone know of our little arrangement."

"Not at all sir," said Maya and disappeared from the cabin.

*****************END*********************

Join my mailing list to get another one of Maya's adventure for FREE

https://storyoriginapp.com/giveaways/7f591bf6-b2da-11ea-aa79-7b88f9021d11