1: Unfocused.

It was a hot April morning as Yamaguchi got out his bed, pushing the comforter and blankets to the side from the night before. When he got up, he straightened everything up, hating the look of a messy bed.

As the freckled boy made his way to the bathroom, he brushed his teeth and washed his face, taking a glance up at the mirror. He traced the freckles along his face as if he was playing connect the dots on the stars.

When Yamaguchi touched his freckles, it reminded him of the time his best friend Tsukishima saved him from the people that were bullying him that day. Since that day, he's been less and less self-conscious about his freckles, and it was all thanks to Tsukki. 

He smiled at himself in the mirror for a while then, closing the lights and changing his clothes into his school uniform.

He made his way down the stairs, taking a glance at the clock on the stove. Of course, it was already 7:45 meaning he wouldn't have time to eat breakfast, once again. Yamaguchi had a habit of hitting the snooze button until the alarm shut up, constantly resulting in him waking up too late.

Yamaguchi slipped on his shoes, keys dangling on the door as he locked it behind him. When he looked up, he could see that familiar tall, blonde boy with his headphones covering his ears.

"Hey Tsukki!!" Yamaguchi cheerfully shouted because seeing his best friend automatically lit up his face and attitude. "Wait up!" He shouted once again, running towards the snarky boy with glasses.

He ran up to Tsukishima's side, not being acknowledged at all by him. Yamaguchi was pretty used to this but, he still stayed by Tsukki's side because well, he knew Tsukishima cared for him in his own way.

While Yamaguchi was walking, staring off into the landscape in front of him, he felt a slight tap on his shoulder.

"Here." Tsukishima mumbled, handing Yamaguchi what looks like a granola bar. "I can hear your stomach growling through my headphones." Tsukki continued, making Yamaguchi flush a bit red.

"Thanks Tsukki!" Yams exclaimed, unwrapping the honey-oat flavored bar. See? He cares for Yamaguchi in his own, brooding way.

They continued walking in silence, Yamaguchi chomping down on the granola bar while Tsukishima blasted whatever music he listened to through his headphones.

Time pass

Yamaguchi and Tsukishima finally made their way to school, making just a few minutes before the bell rang.

They were both in the same classes, taking the college classes instead of the regular ones like Hinata and Kageyama. Tsukishima always laughed at the thought of knowing he was smarter than the raven and orange haired boys.

During class, Yamaguchi would always pay attention to what the teacher says, jotting down every single note written on the blackboard. But today, he didn't feel like paying attention to whatever the teacher went on about.

His eyes kept drifting off to the smug, blonde haired boy who was writing down the notes the teacher was talking about. Yamaguchi always looked away, making sure not to stare too long but, Tsukishima was like a magnet to him.

His eyes always drifting over to his best friend.

Yamaguchi was never sure on why he always wanted to be close to Tsukishima or why he always felt the longing need to talk to him, stare at him, or even to touch him. Of course, he thought it was because that Tsukishima was his best friend.

Until the day he realized that people don't usually long for their best friends to always be with them. That best friends don't imagine what it'd be like if they were to date...or what their lips tasted like.

"Umph!" Yamaguchi quietly grunted, as a paper ball flew to his face, snapping him back into reality.

He unraveled the crumpled ball, attempting to read what it had said because the words were all screwed up.

'Did you need something? Pay attention to the teacher.' Is what the note had said.

Yamaguchi looked up to see Tsukishima's face expressing a confused look, with one of his eyebrows raised. The freckled boy looked up, his face blushing bright red at the fact that Tsukishima caught him staring.

He gave Tsukishima a nod, inaudibly telling him, 'no I don't need anything'. Tsukki gave him a quick nod, getting back to his notes on the subject the teacher was teaching.

'Why am I having these thoughts? ' Yamaguchi silently panicked, attempting to pay attention to the chattering teacher. But, he just couldn't focus on what she was talking about. All he could think about is...his best friend.

End of Chapter

AN:

Hello there! Thanks so much for choosing this story!
The chapters won't be this short, I promise hah. This is my first fanfiction so, bare with me okay! I'll see you in the next chapter.