all things must pass

1970

George woke up to the telephone ringing. He groaned as he sat up in his bed as he looked at the time. 3:46 George wasn't surprised that Ringo was still sleeping. He has always known that he was a deep sleeper. He picked up the phone.

"Hello?" George asked sleepily. What he did not expect was for his dad to be calling. They haven't talked in forever. And he was crying?

"Son.."

"Yes dad?"

"Your.. mother has passed." Harold sobbed. George was astonished. What did he just say? He couldn't believe this. This all had to be some sick joke, right? He felt nausesous and as if someone had punched him in the stomach.

"Dad, I-I have to go. I'll call you later." George hung up and cried. He couldn't take it. And he didn't even get to say goodbye! He sat up in his bed and cried his eyes out, his head in his hands. He couldn't believe it, the person who cared for him, fed him, read him bedtime stories, made him feel safe during a storm, took him to the park...was gone and he would never see her again..

After a while, he just decided on going back to sleep. He didn't want to think about his mother's death. He didn't wanna think about anything. He just wanted to go to sleep and never wake up.

A few hours later Ringo woke up. Expecting it to be a normal morning, he cuddled into George's chest. To his surprise, George just pushed him off. Maybe he's in a bad mood? Ringo thought. To top it off, George just turned the other way. Ringo couldn't take this. He had to know the reason for this behaviour.

"George, what the hell is wrong with you?" Ringo asked as he sat up. George turned around. This is something he did not want to see. George's eyes were red and puffy, and tears were stained on his face. "Hey hey hey, what's wrong?" George crawled over to Ringo and sat in his lap and held onto him as he had his second breakdown this morning.

Ringo hugged George and pet his hair as George sobbed uncontrollably into his shoulder.

"It's okay, Georgie. Tell me what's the matter." This made George cry even more.

"M-M-My mum is d-dead! M-My dad c-called me this m-m-morning." George cried. This shocked Ringo, so much that he got a little misty-eyed too.

"Oh, Georgie.." Ringo hugged George tightly as George sat on his lap and cried like a newborn. Ringo even cried a little. George's mum liked Ringo, she thought he was very kindhearted and respectable and he thought the same for her. And now she was gone.

George cried into Ringo's shoulder, creating a wet puddle of salty tears. He cried for his mummy, which broke Ringo's heart in two.

After a while, Ringo thought George would want sometime alone. After all, his own mother just passed. But as he was getting up, he felt arms wrap around his torso.

"Richie, please don't leave.." George whimpered. Ringo felt his heart shatter. He went back to soothing George, although now they were lying down, cuddling.

"Shh, it's okay lovie. I won't leave." Ringo let George rest his head on his chest as cried. His cries weren't as loud anymore. Small sobs and dry heaving came from the poor lad's trembling mouth.

Pretty soon, George was asleep. 'Poor lad..' Ringo thought. He didn't know what it was like to lose someone so close. From seeing George cry like that, he could tell the feeling was horrible. But the horrible feeling Ringo got out of it was watching George sob and cry for his mummy, and not being able to do anything about it...