Chapter 12

Luz's POV

We ran through the songs for the last time tonight before relaxing in the garage.

"Any luck with the portal?" Adora asks Bow as we all relax in our usual spots.

"We fixed the whole launching situation," Bow answers. "It doesn't burst the melon into a wall anymore but we still can't get it working well enough to transport a person or anything to a different dimension. And once we get it to go interdimensional we'll have to find the right dimension."

"That's gonna' be a while. Won't it?" King asks.

"At least another week," Bow nods.

King takes a deep breath. "Cover your ears," I tell the group. Amity does what I say while Adora, Bow, Catra and Glimmer question why before clapping their hands over their ears as King lets out a high pitched squeal.

"What was that for?" Catra groans as King runs out of the small, doggy door on the garage door.

"That's his rage squeal," Amity says as I get up to follow him.

"I'll be right back," I say as I leave. "King?" I call as I look around for King.

"Leave me alone!" he orders as he sits with his back against the side wall of the garage.

"King, what's wrong? Why'd you rage squeal and run away?"

"Because," he huffs.

"Because why?" I sit next to him. "Come on, I thought we were booboo buddies. You can tell me anything, little dude."

"I'll tell you if you stop calling me that."

"Deal," I nod.

"Okay, I'm mad because I don't want to stay here another week," he states, finally turning to face me. "I miss Eda, and I want to go home, and you keep doing these practice things every night. Never hang out with me anymore."

"I miss Eda too. I'm sorry we're stuck here but, maybe we can have a game night tomorrow. The two of us will be against Amity and Adora. We can play games and before you know it we'll be back home with Eda and everyone else."

"Fine. We'll make them bow to us!" I chuckle before he gets sad again. "What about these practices? Why are you so into this band thing? And what about when we get back home? Are you still going to do it?"

"We practice so we can learn the songs before the shows and I'm into it because it's fun," I shrug. "I get to play drums with my friends and make music. It's nice."

"Fine, then you can keep doing it."

"Wanna go back in now?" I ask.

"Sure, I guess it's not terrible here. I still miss Eda, though."

"Yeah, me too. We'll get to go home soon, though. I promise."

. . .

"King, that's cheating," I chuckle as King puts the fake money back.

"What?! That's life. You know Eda is a criminal right?"

"Yeah, but this is a game. You gotta play fair this time."

"Fine. But I better win.".

"Okay," I nod and we continue the game.

"Hey, I own that one," Amity smiles as I put my piece on one of her squares.

"Dang it," I hand her the colorful paper money I owe her and she chuckles.

"Who's winning so far?" Adora asks the table.

"I am!" King declares. "I am superior to all of you!"

"Good job, King," we chuckle at him.

"But it's not over. I could still win," Adora smirks. "We got a long game ahead of us."

"Never!" King yells as we get back to the game, everybody laughing and trying to win.

"I'm going to get a drink," I say through a few laughs as the game is about half done.

"Me too," Amity gets up and we both go to the fridge.

"What drink do you want?" I open the fridge to grab mine.

"Same as you, thanks," she smiles and I hand her the bottle before grabbing another.

"Guys! I'm about to win!" King announces as he rolls the die.

"Oh, dang it!" Adora exclaims as King does a little happy dance.

"Bow to me!" He orders as he stands on the table pointing.

"Good job, King," I smile. "Wanna play another game?"

"No, I'm going to bed," he jumps off the table and goes to lie down where we've been sleeping.

"Okay, g'night, King," we all start cleaning up the game and all of our wrappers and empty garbage from snacks and drinks.

"You guys ready for the show?" Adora asks as we put the game back in its box.

"Definitely," I nod. We've been practicing every day and the songs are engraved into my memory by now.

"As I'll ever be," Amity nods.

"Just remember how the school reacted. They loved us and we still have two more practices before the gig," Adora tells Amity.

"You're gonna do amazing," I add, "Just like the pep rally."

"Thanks, Luz," Amity smiles so sweetly as her eyes show more gold than usual. "And Adora," she quickly adds, "Both of you."

"No problem," Adora smiles. "I'm gonna go to my room. Let me know if you guys need anything. And don't stay up too late if you wanna go to classes with me tomorrow. You got permission for one day only."

"We won't miss it," I jump slightly in my excitement. "We get to learn what you do."

"We're in our last year so it might not be stuff you guys understand yet. If you went to school with us you'd be a Freshman."

"It's still gonna be fun," I grin. Adora nods and goes to her room, leaving Amity and me with the sleeping King.

"You think anyone will recognize us?" I turn to Amity. "Like from the pep rally?"

"Maybe," Amity shrugs, "what's the band gonna do when we leave? They'll be missing a drummer."

"I think they'll keep going," I shrug. "Adora said she and Bow recorded the drum beats before we got here." I have a moment of realization. "Oh, wouldn't it be cool to have an interdimensional band? Like when they get the portal working we could go through the realms to play!"

"What about school?"

"We could keep it limited to weekend shows until we graduate!"

"Shush," I quiet down.

"Doesn't it sound fun!?" I whisper shout.

"It does," Amity nods. "We should talk to everyone about it tomorrow."

"Right," I nod and we start talking about other topics, ranging from the band all the way to The Good Witch Azura.