Chapter 10

Sasuke POV

After the Chunin exam, Sakura and I talked and expressed what we felt about our marriage. I had been thinking hard about what Kazue had told me about being happy and realized I wanted that for myself. I told her that although I loved her, I felt like I wasn't in love with her, and I felt that separating would be the best idea. We both agreed that Sarada would be our number one priority. We decided to maintain a friendship so we wouldn't profoundly disrupt Sarada's life. Naruto had given me a boarding apartment close to where Kazue lived to have a place to stay when I was back from my missions.

Kazue's book was doing really well, and I had given Sarada the copy I got. Kazue had said the book was for younger kids, but Sarada and her friends also liked the books because they looked like comic books and were about shinobi. Before Kazue left for her press tour, she had seen me with Sakura, and she had smiled at me. I wanted to talk to her about what was going on. Still, I had more Otsutsuki related missions to go on since they were causing disruptions, especially with the tailed beasts. I realized later that there was a chance she thought I had chosen to stay with Sakura.

I was finally able to figure out where Kazue had seen me before. Two weeks ago, Urashiki attacked the town trying to steal an ancient artifact that had been pulled from the ocean. The device turned out to be a time machine. I was with Boruto, and we followed Urashiki into the machine and ended up back when I had deserted. Naruto was training with his Sannin Sensei. We had no plan when we got there, and I had to disguise myself in a hat. Tsunade assigned Naruto and his sensei to watch Boruto and me since we were suspected of being spies. That was the day Kazue saw me and why that memory stuck with her because that was her last day in Konoha. She had approached Naruto to say goodbye and had taken a good look at both of our faces because she was suspicious. After defeating Urashiki, I had erased everyone's memory except hers because she was not there when I was erasing the memories. She was on her way to the Land of Earth at the time. Her memory did not disrupt anything with the timeline, but I thought maybe it was fate that I met her.

After coming back from the mission, I wanted to meet with Naruto and talk to him again. Since Kazue wasn't in town, we could meet on the roof of the tower undisturbed.

"So, how are you handling the separation?" Naruto asked me

"It hasn't really changed anything with me since I was always out of the house. I've been spending a lot more time with Sarada, so that's one good thing that came out of it".

"How did you decide on the separation anyway?"

"Kazue. I talked to her, and she told me to try and relax to figure out what I needed to be happy. She said I was full of shit. I was using all my missions and not getting a new hand as penance for something that people had already forgiven me for".

"I've been telling you that for the past ten years, and suddenly you listen just because a pretty girl said it?"

"She just phrased it better. I think you and she are the only ones who really understand me. You've been calling me out on my shit since we were kids. But I've really been thinking about what she said, and she was right. All I needed to do was forgive myself for everything. After that, I felt much better and happier. I can't stop thinking about her, though. She's the only thing missing in my life, and I think I messed up".

"What did you do this time?"

"Well, the day before she left for her book tour, she saw Sakura and me with Sarada. I looked happy because I had taken her advice. It wasn't until later that I realized she probably thought I chose Sakura. She doesn't know we're not together anymore, and I didn't get a chance to explain it to her".

"Oh. Shikamaru said that she went on a couple of dates with Gaara during her Sand Village tour. She might be trying to get over you right now. You need to talk to her if she is who you want to be with. And before she finds someone else".

"I know. Meeting Kazue is one of the best things to happen to me, and I don't know how to approach her to tell her that. And what are the chances that after she comes back from the book tour, she'll start going to the tower again? I really don't want to lose her".

"Boy, you sure do know how to self-sabotage. Why not try to leave a note? You know where she lives, right?"

"Maybe. I also figured out why I looked familiar when we met. Remember the mission I went on with Boruto to your past? That's when we finally got rid of Urashiki. After the mission, I erased everyone's memories except hers because she had already left Konoha. She looked at Boruto and me enough that she could know my face because she was suspicious of us too".

"Whoa. So, you had met her when she was a kid, and you were you right now. I don't know if it's a good thing or a terrible thing if she remembers?"

"I don't know. I saw it more as maybe I was meant to be with her. Hers was the only memory that wasn't erased that day. It's got to be something more than coincidence that I stumbled on to her again, right?"

"It might. Well, she is coming back in two weeks and moving out of the boarding apartment. You should come up with a plan soon because she's probably going to move to a high-security place. Her books are really selling, you know".

"I know. And I can't avoid thinking about her because her face is everywhere. Is this how you felt before you asked Hinata out? It's like she's the only thing in my mind when I'm not doing anything. The last time I talked to her, she hugged me, and I had a tough time letting her go, so we stayed like that all afternoon. I keep going back to that moment over and over. She didn't want to kiss me because she never wanted to feel guilty about the first time she kissed me. She's simply perfect in every way".

"Wow. This girl has really changed you. I'm your friend, so I'm rooting for you. Mostly because you might end up being more fun with her in your life".

"Yeah. Did you know that she didn't even know I was an Uchiha until I mention I was training Sarada to use her Sharingan? And she didn't know anything about my past. I had to tell her".

"So, she wasn't a fangirl after all. She actually liked your gloomy ass the first time she saw you".

"Isn't that amazing?"

"This is actually really funny to see right now. I think this is how your fangirls felt all the time".

"If it is, I owe them an apology," Naruto started laughing at me then.

"This is a whole new Sasuke. I don't even know how to process it. I almost forgot to mention, I'm supposed to have a meeting with her as part of her press tour. Maybe you can stop by afterward and catch her before she leaves. Because I'm a good friend, I might throw in that you are separated. Maybe she'll talk to you then".

"Can you? That would really help".

"I'll see what I can do."