Chapter 12

"You need to put more strength on your knees."

       He was breathing heavily and staring at me, still lying on the ground.

       Collecting all of his strength, Zart got up, showing determination but difficulty in keeping his legs still. He cleaned the sweat that ran down from his face to his chin. After recovering control of his breathing, he came in my direction, aiming to punch me. I smiled, happy to see that he was taking it seriously.

       I blocked his punch with the palm of my hand and watched him shift from a punch to a kick as quickly as possible. I backed up before he could hit me and watched as he fell to the floor, hitting his head first.

       "I think we should stop." I said, resting my hands on my hips.

       I heard the click of his tongue.

      "I can still do it!"

      "Just look at Mania. She's deep into sleep and your mom is probably anxious for you two to come back for lunch."

       Seeing his angry face of defeat, I felt pity and got closer to pet his hair. He stared at me sighing and I knew I didn't have to say anything for him to feel better. I felt relieved that he wasn't mad from not winning. But instead, he was more determined to win next time.

       He took my hand and got up for us to leave. I smiled and picked up the sleepy Mania in my arms and knelt to wait for Zart to climb on my back. Grinning wide, he accepted and giggled, starting small talk as we headed to their house.

       "Thank you for playing with them, (y/n)." Rachel said by the door.

       "It's nothing, I promised I would come. Besides, I had a lot of fun."

       "Why don't you stay for lunch?"

       I blushed. "I would but I already have something planned with Levi..."

       "I knew you would fix things." She grinned, playfully. "Tell him to come next time. I want to see the boy you're in love with."

       "I'll try to convince him... He's a little antisocial..."

       We laughed together as I recalled earlier when I told her about how me and Levi started dating.

       "Okay! Now go, before you get late."

       "Have a nice day!" I said, waving her goodbye as she closed the door.

       I turned away, and started heading to meet with Levi on the abandoned rooftop, where we met lots of times. I convinced him to have a sort of picnic since it would be something different as I was tired of doing the same things every day.

       I was so excited for today, even thought it wasn't anything too different from what we do since we have meals together almost everyday. He said he would wait for me there with everything we already prepared, though it wasn't much. I would be with him by now, if I didn't promise to play with Rachel's kids.

       I didn't regret the time I spent with them. Zart had a lot of potential as Mania was still too young for thinking about fighting. I was distracted by my thoughts, trying to remember what was in the picnic basket. I was getting hungry and felt my belly hurt since we've decided to eat less times a day to economise. Whatever was in the picnic basket would have to serve for the rest of the day and maybe the next morning.

      Suddenly, I noticed someone staring at me and shifting to rest their back on the wall, a few meters in front of me. I gasped at the realisation.