༻ 45 ༺

"You can run, you can hide,
But they always find.
Spreading slowly in your heart,
They live in the dark."
- Paranoia by Kang Daniel

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

Trigger Warning: Blood

Yunho keeps glancing at Jihyun, just in case she might be better again magically. His heart clenches when he sees no change and he sticks his face into his hands again.

This cycle repeats countless times.

He wonders if she's in pain. Can she even think right now? What if she can see and hear everything? She'd probably be laughing at him for crying so much then. Will she ever return? Is this how she felt when she first saw the state her friends were in?

For some reason, millions of questions flood into his mind at the same time. He wishes to ask them to the girl even though he knows she can't answer.

This situation is so cruel.

He attempts to pull at the bars of his cell once again, with no luck. His arms shake furiously and his face reddens, but the metal does not budge. He tries kicking the bars, only to earn himself a few shrill shrieks from Wooyoung. No matter how much Yunho hears those sounds, they still sound horrifying. So this is what Jihyun must have felt.

Yunho feels at least a bit grateful that Jihyun isn't screaming and thrashing about like Wooyoung, but rather she's like Mingi. However, at the same time it hurts just as bad. "It'll be okay," he whispers to her, missing being her comforter. Now he's nearly trying to comfort himself, his words bouncing right off her and back to him again.

After hours of Yunho wallowing in despair, the door suddenly opens.

Yunho whips his head up, half expecting to see one of the two scientists. His heart beats faster and faster when he sees who it actually is.

Yeosang takes a step in with a concerned expression and jumps back when he feels the crunch of glass under his shoes. "I was told to come here to fix up Jihyun's hand injury but...what on Earth even happened here?" he asks.

"They used the serum on Jihyun and San made her punch glass, Sangie," Yunho explains with a shaky voice. Yeosang inhales sharply and scurries over the glass to her and crouches down. He furrows his eyebrows deeper as he waves a hand in front of her face. His breath hitches when he notices no response and his mouth forms a frown.

"They finally did it, huh," he quietly utters while unlocking her cage.

Yunho watches Yeosang clean her hand delicately. Even the doctor flinches as he picks little shards of glass out of her hand. He frantically wipes away the blood that is expelled as soon as he takes out the pieces of glass. While Yunho's mind continues to whirr, the doctor wraps a bandage around her hand. He could ask Yeosang for help but he knows that the innocent medic doesn't even have enough power to get them out of here. The only people that have enough authority in this building are Hongjoong and Seonghwa.

That thought brings an idea into his head.

"Can you tell Seonghwa to come down here please?" Yunho asks Yeosang, his heart slowly filling with a small volume of hope again. The doctor stands up after locking the girl's cage again.

"Of course, it's the least I could do," Yeosang smiles. He hesitates for a bit but says what's on his mind anyway.

"Once you escape from here, please visit me in prison, okay? And tell my family that I'm sorry," he requests with a sad smile. Yunho's eyes widen. "You can't go to prison! You didn't even hurt anyone and you were being forced to help them, weren't you?" Yunho announces.