Chosen - chapter thirty-three

Chapter Thirty-Three

"John! Thank you so much for your hospitality." Cassius extended his arms out to the man and embraced him.

"It's my pleasure, majesty! You are always most welcome here." The man laughed loudly while clapping the king on the back. "Do be careful. There has been talk of highway robbers along the way."

We climbed into the carriage and headed toward Fontainebleau. The road from Calais would prove to be a long one. The thought of running into highway robbers made me uneasy. I didn't want to fight our way to the king of France.

"How long will it take us to get there?" Angeline asked.

"Three days' time."

She nodded and leaned against the seatback. I sighed heavily ready for a sore back and leg cramps. The carriage ambled along the road, leaving behind the beautiful house and cheerful people inside. I could only hope to be so happy with so many children one day.

Robert was the first to fall asleep. His head lolled about before hitting the side of the small box with a thud. I suppressed a giggle and yawned, watching as Cassius's eyes grew heavier and heavier before finally closing for good. Angeline continued watching the scenery pass by. The open fields with peasants harvesting the wheat crops of the season. The scythe's gleamed in the morning sun. Small children ran about their parents grabbing bundles of the golden wheat. Wagons full of the stuff scattered the fields. It was a productive season.

"The poor shall eat well this winter," Angeline mumbled.

"Yes. They will. Plenty of bread for everyone." I closed my eyes thinking of how I would find Belle.

Only a few more weeks until we were there.

I must have drifted off at some point. I awoke to the sound of horses whining and the coach mans' chatter.

Cassius yawned, stretched, and opened the door. "Where are we?"

"A day and a half away. The horses need a short respite."

Cassius nodded and stretched as he walked about the meadow we were pulled in to. As the coachmen tended to the horses the king's household sat up a tent and began preparing food.

"We shall stay here for the night," Cassius announced.

"Are you sure your majesty?" the head of his privy chamber asked.

"Yes. It's a nice spot."

The man nodded his head and returned to the others, directing and barking out orders.

"Are you sure it's safe to sleep out in the open?" Robert asked.

"With our large party, yes I believe we shall be safe for the evening. We can continue on our way once day breaks."

"I would just like a comfortable spot to sleep," I groaned sitting on the step of the carriage.

"Joselyn! Your gown!" Angeline complained seeing me sit on the step.

"It's fine," I said.

"No, stand. We'll find you a proper seat."

"Angeline."

"Joselyn."

I stood and followed as she procured a chair from one of the men. The sun felt good as it beat down on my tired face. The smell of roasting meat and simmering stew wafted into the air. My stomach growled as we waited for things to be finished.

The sun waned beyond the horizon, sinking behind mountains. The sky appeared to be on fire. Streaks of red, orange and purple blazed forth. Sleep would be much appreciated after a filling meal.