Chapter 1: Strange and Stranger

The cacophony of alcohol, sweat and blaring music rose mercilessly

I glanced over at Will, fixing my collar, looking for any sign of discomfort in him. However, the flashing lights made it difficult to discern his expression. He did although, catch my eye and lean against the counter to shout in my ear.

'Is that him?'

I followed his finger to see that he was pointing at someone sitting at the opposite end of the counter. I squinted my eyes, straining to see the obscured, solitary figure. The vague familiarity struck a chord in my intoxicated brain, but I had to be wrong. What would a hugely successful author do in a below than average bar filled with drunk teens and undergraduates?

 'No way,' I declared finally as I turned to look at Will to refute his question. 'Can't be him.'

"It is him," Will repeated, shaking his head, his brown eyes wide. 'I heard he lives near the city. So it won't be impossible.'

I pursed my lips and strained my eyes again. It was impossible to make out anything of note from the shadowy figure. The bright strobing lights from the bar that seemed to ricochet off him at sudden instances only gave away the fact that the stranger had dark hair, and his silhouette bore a strange resemblance to the celebrity in question.

'Man, it's so wild,' Alan shook his head. 'It's like seeing your high school teacher in the supermarket or something.'

'Well, there's...only one way to find out,' I said finally, rising to my feet, nervousness bubbling in my belly. I took another sip of the rum, the warmth burning my throat and inflating my confidence.

Will glanced up at me, raising an eyebrow. 'You going to talk to him?'

'Sure, why not?' I shrugged with the confidence the alcohol had given me. I picked up a glass from the table in front of us and drank in one shot. The bitter taste of the vodka reached my chest at once, lulling my brain cells into a sense of false confidence. "If it is him-" I grinned, glancing back at them, "I get to cross another thing on my bucket list."

"Hooking up with a celebrity?" Alan laughed, shaking his head so his black curly hair rippled. "You could also be shot down."

"I can think of worse things in life than getting shot down by F.F Riley," I said, placing the now empty glass back on the table and taking a deep breath. I winked at them, "Hopefully, I won't see you guys tonight."

Will chuckled while Alan rolled his eyes, but thankfully none of them tried to talk to get me back to my senses. I was aware of their gazes fixed on my back as I made my way through the club towards the bar. The farther that I got from the table where I had been sitting, the more jarring the music became. To the point where I was half tempted to cut my losses and escape. But if it truly was who Will thought he was, there was no way I was letting this opportunity slide, even if I had to sacrifice my eardrums for the cause.