Chapter 1: The King and His Sheep

How many times had it been said? Sheep follow one's steps blindly, moving on for however long they are ordered to. It must seem like they lack a will of their own, traveling endless miles with their shepherd, who had no intention of keeping them, and eventually selling them for nothing but a few shillings per. The sheep were only used at the shepherd's expense. However, the sheep continue to keep flocking their way to the shepherd one after the other, a never ending cycle of a being's existence exploited.

Humans are quite similar, to say the least. People use others to their advantage, no regard as to whether or not they would like to fulfill their own desires. And others blindly follow, under the impression that the one they follow is all knowing, especially those with higher status. That's how it's always been, from the very beginning, to the very end.

Finding a person who stood out from the flock was quite rare. People follow crowd behavior naturally, it's how the body reacts. But if even one person tried to stand out, it always seemed like they were an odd one out in the group. These shepherds didn't really like this, and usually plucked them out like a child would when a bright yellow dandelion stood out in the many blades of grass.

Power. That's what they wanted. These shepherds were power obsessed, wanting nothing more than people to serve them. They wanted to be seen as superior, mysterious, and all powerful beings. And any who dared disobey would most certainly be taken care of.

And that's exactly how it was run in the Fire Kingdom.

The kingdom was run by nothing more than fear. People were too lost in the clouds to realize that. They thought the king wanted what was best for the kingdom, but it was actually quite the opposite: he wanted to rule it all.

One person couldn't have the world for themselves. It just didn't work out. Everything would fall into chaos. Yet, the king did not withdraw from his ideals, and continued on manipulating his citizens like they were nothing more than pawns in his game of chess.

Anything seemed better than living under his rule. Even being closed off from humanity, even being cast off to the side as a lowlife, an untouchable. But no, unfortunately for Shouto, amounting to anything as low as that would never be the case, especially when born as the youngest son of that king.

Yes, Prince Shouto Todoroki, the youngest son of King Endeavor, ruler of the Fire Kingdom. Not the position that he would like to be in, but there most certainly was no other way for it to be. That's just how it was written, and that's how it would stay.

Not that there was much of a choice. At the moment, the prince was stuck in yet another royal meeting, discussing matters that wouldn't even be solved by the Fire Kingdom for a second. King Endeavor didn't care, but Shouto, on the other hand, sure did. He was the only one who truly wanted to keep his kingdom under control, so he stared, stared directly into the turquoise eyes of his father, seeing right through his facade.

How many times had he stared daringly at his father, piercing holes right through his stone cold gaze? If you watched closely enough, this happened every time the two made eye contact, which was quite outstanding since no one else would ever be allowed to give such a look to someone like him. But alas, Shouto was an exception.

For being the youngest son, being the next heir to the throne was quite shocking to the rest of the royal families. The Bakugou bloodline didn't know how to take this, especially their only son, Katsuki, who seemed pretty pissed off whenever he was stuck in the same room as Shouto. However, whenever he complained, he was whacked on the head by Queen Mitsuki, completely ignoring the prince's useless bickering.

That was the only good thing that came from these meetings. Just the occasional snarky comment from Katsuki, and the quick-witted comeback from Shouto. That was all he had going for entertainment, other than that it was pure and utter boredom.